Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

HID headlights, any ideas on what one i should get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 06:54 PM

I know from past experience that TYC makes a high quality product, but they don't seem to have Projectors for the 03-07.
How are the ones you bought Mohsanity? I like the look, but you can never tell quality in a photo.
Also are they DOT blessed? My wifes black 07 NEEDS black housing projectors. I think it also is crying for HID's as well.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:28 AM

Installed the DDM slim ballast kits this past weekend they look great

Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Default 55W or 35w?

The projectors i got were great! i wouldn't say there easy to install.. a little tricky i must say. before i put them on, i sealed the edges with silicon. no leaks so far, and i live in canada, so lots of snow and rain. another thing i was worried about was, i wanted to get the 55W instead of the 35W, apparently its a lot brighter and the 6000k looks a lot more white. i wanted that look. do you think the 55W bulb will be to long for the projectors?

thanks
Mohsanity

Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 PM

I personally own the DDM 35W Slim kit.. and to be honest, there's really no need for 55W...

i have a 6000K 35W kit, next set of bulbs will be 5000K (i too like the white light factor) and i'm completely happy with them.

55W runs hotter, draws more current(you'll NEED the relay kit) and in my personal opinion doesn't put out enough light over the 35W to make it worth it.

now like i said, that's my opinion.. some people seem to think the 55W is needed.. i personally don't.

as a reference, i was looking at some diagrams for 98-00 accords the other day on the ESM and apparently there was a variation of the accords in that year with factory HID's ?? i'm assuming in another country, and the HID system specifies that it's 35W and the high beams are 55W halogen.

so if that helps put things into perspective, you really don't NEED the 55W HID's 35W HID's with 5000K bulbs will be pure white (what you're looking for) and put out approx. 3200 lumens.. standard halogen is like 800-1200 range so nearly 3 times the light output of 55W halogens

i'm so happy i didn't get the 55W kit like i was considering, the 35W is not only cheaper, but the replacement bulbs are like 30 a pair.. that's cheaper than a pair sylvania ultrastars.

anyway, do what you want, it's your accord, but for the sake of making sure you're not going to overheat the projectors, or put more strain on your electrical system i'd recommend the 35W DDM slim kit.. i'd buy it again any day.

EDIT: also, be prepared to possibly have to remove those housings you just installed and dremel out the hole where the bulb goes through. the opening in my TYC projectors was JUST too small for the HID bulb and i had to clearance it with the dremel.. i had to

a word of advice, if you do end up having to cut away at it, use a good carbide cutting bit, take your time, re-check every so often to see where to really need to take material off, and keep the housings tilted so the LEAST amount of metal shavings end up inside the projector assembly.. otherwise you're looking at tearing those beautiful housings apart, then tearing the projectors apart, and cleaning it completely out... then re-assembling it all.. which is a complete nightmare to be honest..

if you can, the best method would be to set up a rig with a high powered vacuum with a small tip to suck as much removed material away from the inside of the housings as possible.. then get a small vacuum (like the PC kind with a hose on it, or rig your own, and clean INSIDE the projector through the small hole as much as possible...

don't worry TOO much about it, i had a lot of metal inside my projectors from when i did the cutting, and it didn't really hurt light output, during my recent headlight repair/mod i did i cleaned them out completely.

Regards,

Moddage

Last edited by Moddage; 01-26-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: added something important