General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a car or get my current one repaired?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Should I buy a car or get my current one repaired?

I am in a bit of confusion on what I should do. If this is not the right place for such a question, I apologize and I will gladly kick myself out - just let me know.

I have a Honda Accord EX 2000 for about three years with 181K miles on it. I was planning on selling the car - the Kelly Blue Book price was around $3500 but due to the body damage it has, it is about $2500 but I'm thinking I'll get maybe $1500 after all the bargaining process. Today, I went to a mechanic who evaluated the condition of the car and said that it would take roughly $650 to get the car into a very stable state where I can use it for another two years. The main problems found were:
  • Replace rear brake pads
  • Replace right upper control arm
  • Replace valve cover gaskets
  • Replace power steering pump
  • Replace left side axle seal
  • Wheel alignment

Along a parallel line, I was looking to buy a new Honda Accord 2013 model. I have been sanctioned a loan of either $15K @2.79% APR for five years or $25K @3.75% APR for six years. The monthly payment would come to around $350-$450 with either financing.

The catch is this: I have a long road-trip coming in a month where I will have to drive roughly 8000 miles in three months (cross-country trip). Therefore, if I have to go on this trip, I should either get the car repaired @ $650 or sell this car at about $1500 and buy a new car. I am a bit hesitant in putting 8000 miles on a new car in 1-3 months but other than that, I don't really have a problem.

What do you recommend? Should I just go with a new car or should I invest $650, extend my current car's life by 1-2 years and then sell it off? Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Hey Legend, what a great spot you're in.

Since you can afford the monthly payments, go for the new car.
You'll feel great having a new car under you for next 4 months.
8000 miles and you're just broken in! Sweet. Nothing to break!! Total freedom.

where is the jealous icon when you need it?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 AM

Do you have an auto or a manual? If it is an auto, how is the transmission?

My vote is for a new car. yes, it is $650 to sort your car out now, but will anything else break between now and 8000 miles from now? And if anything on the 2013 does break, you'll have a new car warranty to support you, and a nationwide network of dealers.

Let us know what you decide, and if you do get a new ride, post pics.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

sell the old one for 1500 bucks and buy a butt-load of snacks for the trip