Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Changing my current car alarm

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Changing my current car alarm

I have a 01 4dr accord with an aftermarket car alarm. when I bought the car the prevous owners gave me no remotes. So I was wondering if I would be able to go to best buy and buy a viper alarm system and install it myself using the same wires from the old alarm. Is that possible or are all wires diffrent on different car alarm brands

Old 06-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

The different brand alarms will most likely have different wiring coloring.

You will need to know what wires (e.g., power door lock, door trigger, etc.) on your car to connect the wiring from the new car alarm. This link shows where specific wires are for your car:

http://alarmsellout.com/support/diag...01985-2005.pdf

Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

yup. you can use the wiring, but the color codes will be different, so you'll still have to track them down, verify connection quality, and then connect to the new alarm. i recommend rewiring when the other alarm colors are different. you don't want confusion.

locating the alarm brain is key. there is a cavity behind the gauge cluster. remove the cluster, cut out a section of the black plastic behind it, and you have a nice shelf for an alamr brain. make sure to use foam or carpet to pad the surface so you don't get rattles.

you want the alarm install to look OEM - i.e. no visible wires, everything in loom. luckily, our cars are very easy to work on. i bought a HAYNES manual for my car, then marked up the schematics, referencing the alarm install instructions, before i even removed a panel. that way i knew where to make the connection.