Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

HID Research/Warnings

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 03:34 AM
ludedude
Unregistered
Default HID Research/Warnings

Here is an interesting article about HID conversion. I am guessing that this may not be too popular with some people. But everyone should know about this before spending their money on HID kits. Hmmm, a little controversy. Anyway there is this saying, "There is no knowledge that is not power."

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Old 12-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: HID Research/Warnings

The point about the light production is true. The arguement to this article is that light, or any wave for that matter, propogates spherically. The only difference that using an HID kit could possibly make is that the center of the light may not be at the exact focal center of the housing, but then again when you change the bulb and don't use the exact same brand, you change the focus a bit as well ...... good info, but irrelevant to the scenario that they are trying to apply it to IMO.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:43 PM
ludedude
Unregistered

"HID can not be a direct replacement for halogen light sources. To install HID lights you will need new reflectors and optics that are specifically designed for that light source...." This is from Sylvania's web site @ http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/Products/HID/HIDFAQs.htm

"NOTE : Xenon HID bulbs can only be used in vehicles that have HID lighting systems. They cannot be used as an upgrade in conventional headlights." From Philips' web site at http://www.nam.lighting.philips.com/...cts/xenon2.php
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I could not disagree with you more. Yourexample of replacing one brand of (halogen) bulb with a different brand should produce only very slight differences that would have to be very small compared to cramming a HID bulb in a headlight specifically designed for a halogen bulb. Not only are HID bulbs themselves shaped & sizeddifferently compared to any halogen bulb but the actual source of light is also shaped and positioned differently within the various types of bulbs. So even if you manage to position a HID bulb exactly insidethe sweet spot of a halogen light fixture, the arc of light is not going to be the same shape or size as the filament inside a halogen bulb. The result will be a lightsource that is not focused properly and light shining in undesirable places like up into the eyes of oncoming drivers. Not only that but some cars like BMW have auto-levelers which dip the headlight down when they hit bumps in the road to help keep from shining in the eyes of other drivers. Getting a HID bulb into a sweet spot would probably be a combination of luck and trial and error. I really don't believe that any HID conversion kits out there undergo any real engineering, if they did you would probably see these kits mass produced by companies like Sylvania or Philips and sold at major auto parts stores. The Ebay specials you see were probably put together in some guys garage or made in some backwoods factory in China.

Maybe if you replace a halogen bulb with a cheapo halogen brand made in China or Taiwan made to poor quality and tolerances you would get a lot of glare too.

Sylvaniadoes make kits but those are for sealed beam headlights or bolt on driving lights. Most cars these days don't have sealed beams.

Don't shoot the mesenger please.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:26 PM

i would have to agree that SOME cars shouldnt use the HID kits because yes SOME cars do produce too much glare with an HID kit.in my own personal car that i drive everyday, it does not produce that much problems. though yes it is brighter i cant say mine produce that much more glare than any other car. and they produce a lot more light for me because my night vision really isnt the best. so i think it shouldnt be illegal for everybody even though i know they wouldnt be able to control such a thing.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 AM

An HID retro bulb fits into the holder for the halogen. Based on your first link, the HID would eminate light through the "sweet spot" as well as a bit beyond since the HID light comes from the glass surface and the bulb only shines from the filament. Since our car's halogen headlights are not aimed like your BWM example, I don't think that system really fits this discussion. The note from the second link is justified with referance to the ballast and igniter rather than optics -- please don't skew info to favor your opinion.

I do agree that halogen fixtures are not optimized for HID use, but to claim that the light output would be all messed up with a conversion kit is wrong. I think that everyone has to do their own research, but that doesn't seem to be the case lately. Also, I welcome a debate on a worthwhile topic (not shooting the messanger!!)

I have aftermarket TYC projector fixtures that came with halogen H1 bulbs for low and high beams. I retrofitted the low beams to HID bulbs and recently (since the pictures were taken) upgraded the high beams to better halogen bulbs. I don't really like HID's for high beams since in the NYC metro area, you can't really keep your beams on for any length of time. Switching on and off repeatedly is bad for HID's.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:03 PM

but it looks so good..........

Old 12-11-2007, 02:36 PM

I'd settle for not having a busted headlight.... Cement truck got me a couple of days ago, shattered big hole in the front glass lens, bulb still works for now....

I didn't read all of that article but it would appear his biggest issue is with beam pattern and such? If that's the case then why not just get the actuall true conversion kit (if available)

Ludedude: I really don't believe that any HID conversion kits out there undergo any real engineering, if they did you would probably see these kits mass produced by companies like Sylvania or Philips and sold at major auto parts stores.

From the Sylvania link: To install HID lights you will need new reflectors and optics that are specifically designed for that light source. SYLVANIA does have a solution for some vehicles, with the Xenarc retrofit kits.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:43 PM

There are pics of my lights in the link in my sig. Is there any problem? I like them, they are much brighter, they are aimed correctly, do not have much undirected light and they look great!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:37 PM
ludedude
Unregistered

Falkore24, in response to your second posting on this thread:

I am having difficulty understanding what you are trying to say in the first paragraph. But if you have independent research conducted by photometric engineers to support your case then by all means where is it? Note, I would not consider website photos ofbeam patterns shining on the ground or on garage doors asindependentor reliable or scientific research. I seriously doubt you even read the article on the web link in my original post or watched the YouTube video on that same link. I am not making this stuff up because I hate HID or something, nor do I have anything to gain from this debate if you want to call it that.

But I think we are in agreement on your second paragraph (sort of). That is essentially what I was trying to say, that you can't expect to have a good beam pattern by sticking a HID bulb into a headlight designed for a halogen filament bulb. If you get a good pattern it would be a matter of luck. And again unless you have a light tunnel and photometric equipment you really can't claim you have a good legal beam pattern just because it looks good shining on the ground.

Please don't claim my INDEPENDENT research citations are skewed when you have NONE to support your own arguments, it only makes your point of view appear biased and uninformed. You simplystate some of my points are irrelevant or don't fit but you do not back it up. You wouldn't sell HID kits by any chance?

Those pics do look good, but you can't really tell just by looking at pics. Dang they look good.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:47 AM
ludedude
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

I'd settle for not having a busted headlight.... Cement truck got me a couple of days ago, shattered big hole in the front glass lens, bulb still works for now....

I didn't read all of that article but it would appear his biggest issue is with beam pattern and such? If that's the case then why not just get the actuall true conversion kit (if available)

Ludedude: I really don't believe that any HID conversion kits out there undergo any real engineering, if they did you would probably see these kits mass produced by companies like Sylvania or Philips and sold at major auto parts stores.

From the Sylvania link: To install HID lights you will need new reflectors and optics that are specifically designed for that light source. SYLVANIA does have a solution for some vehicles, with the Xenarc retrofit kits.

Yes, Sylvania does have the Xenarc retrofit product line. But it is very limited( Ford F-150,Silverado, Hummer, driving/fog lights, orsealed beams, that's about it) and some (F150) are discontinued. And these kits replace the entire headlight assembly, it's not just a bulb and ballast.

Quick Reply: HID Research/Warnings