Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

HIDS and Projectors ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Default HIDS and Projectors ?

i have a 2002 accord LX sedan.. and in the near future am looking into HID's for sure.. but i've read on various places that HID's in OEM housings are illegal because of how much they glare.. so my guess would be that i basically need projectors..

Now i was also considering the projectors anyway for the appearance improvement..

I'd like to know what brands to look for on projector headlights, and who to stay away from .. so i don't buy something that's junk..

are THESE any good ? or stay away ?

i'm planning on ordering my HID's from DDM but don't want to place an order until i have new headlights if i get them because of possible bulb differences...

i'm sticking with the 35W setup because 55's are way too bright..

anyway.. what are your suggestions on headlights (projectors or not, or even black housed stock looking ones (like the JDM style ones i found on ebay)

figured i'd ask the board before i do anything i might regret...

thanks in advance

~Moddage

Old 04-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

those ebay lights are junk youll be fine with the oem head lights. as you stated your want 35w. good start. with kevlar do you want? 4300k-8000k i would imagine youd be safe anything higher wont help you see and will draw attention

Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM

also i believe all of us here have hids in oem headlights, i know i do .

Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 PM

sorry forgot to mention i'm planning on going with 6000k's

i like the SLIGHT blue hue with mostly white light.. i'm after more lighting at night than the look of blue lights.. but i still want the slightly blue appearance of higher end luxury OEM's

i don't mind the stock housings.. but i don't particularly care for them all that much either.. so if i were to change the headlights physical appearance.. what would you suggest.. and i don't want any aftermarket chrome kind that look too... (sorry guys if this is offending) "ricey" i'm not one to want to draw attention.. but i want a unique ride.. there's a lot of 6th gen gold accord sedans around here and i don't want to be "just one of the crowd" but i don't want to be a tuner either.. my heart is and always will be with muscle cars.. i get made fun of enough for driving a Honda by friends and family lol (don't get me wrong, i LOVE my accord just not much for drawing a lot of attention to myself)

Thanks again in advance

~Moddage

Old 04-04-2009, 08:08 PM

they look nice and stuff but the projector is plastic not glass, so it will weaken light out put. 6000k youll be good, as for the bulbs i say they stay the same assuming its 9006 bulb only because they housing changes not the wiring,

Old 04-04-2009, 08:09 PM

buyin the housing id wait until some who owns a 6th gen puts their info in like finch or cjdm

Old 04-04-2009, 08:15 PM

HIDs in OEM housings have much more glare than HID in cheap projectors. I would go into huge detail as to why not to buy those lights and why they shouldn't have HID in them, but I know there are plenty of threads on here with the same explanation.

I have DDM Slims (well plain DDM, but they're now called Slims these days) in the factory housings and they're just fine.

You MUST aim the headlights lower after you install the HIDs.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 PM

thanks finch!

i don't mind the stock look.. so i think i'll save the cash and just keep them..

i wouldn't mind the look of aftermarket headlights (projectors or just the black OEM styles) but then again i don't really mind the ones in there now nor do i have the money to really spend...

Also i've read up and determined that i SHOULD keep the high beams NON-HID because of the warm up period.. if i NEED the high beams (since they rarely get used anyway) having HID's would be BAD becuase they have to start up first..

i'll definitely aim them lower after the HID install so i don't attract attention or blind other drivers..

now.. if i WERE to get aftermarket housings what would you guys recommend as far as brands to look for ?

~Moddage

Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 PM

Probably none, DEPO makes an OEM-style blackhoused light. Nothing you can't do yourself in a weekend at home.

If you must get projectors (which if you do, do it before you buy the HIDs, because the projectors use different bulbs than oem), get TYC or Anzo projectors. Go to their websites and find exactly what they looks like because there are a lot of even cheaper knock-offs on eBay.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by finch13
Probably none, DEPO makes an OEM-style blackhoused light. Nothing you can't do yourself in a weekend at home.

If you must get projectors (which if you do, do it before you buy the HIDs, because the projectors use different bulbs than oem), get TYC or Anzo projectors. Go to their websites and find exactly what they looks like because there are a lot of even cheaper knock-offs on eBay.
There aftermarket projectors that are pretty good? What's the website?

Quick Reply: HIDS and Projectors ?