Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

HOD Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:58 AM
Default HOD Lights

So a couple weeks ago on a whim I bought some HOD lights on eBay from Hong Kong. They looked funky, piqued my interest, and I had just gotten my paycheck earlier that day. They just arrived today and I installed them tonight and I must say, they are a good deal brighter than stock. The part that really got me was the fact that they're plug and play. Go straight into the stock sockets and everything. So it was cheap and easy to put em in.

Just took them out on the road for the first time and I'm pretty pleased with them. The color in very nice and they're definitely brighter than stock.

I found some information about them here: hod-the replacement of hid: hod:the replacement of hid They look a lot like HIR bulbs, HIR Headlights 9011 9012 bulbs, but they're a little different design and most certainly lower quality.

Some pictures
The case
Name:  Case.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  44.2 KB

Comparison of stock on right and HOD on left (that's stage right and left BTW)
Name:  RstockLHOD-2.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  118.2 KB

Close up stock
Name:  Stock.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  25.7 KB

Close up HOD. Notice the color difference.
Name:  HOD.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  17.6 KB

The finished product
Name:  Best2b-1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  28.4 KB

Assuming they don't burn out/blow up anytime soon I'm happy with them.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:14 PM

hmm never heard of HOD..

im going to go with HIDs with my lights aimed lower to keep from blinding drivers, and eventually retrofit projectors

hids are also plug n play

Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM

I'd never heard of them before either. They cost me about the same as a pair of standard Sylvania bulbs so I figured why not? They have a better color to them than my old Sylvanias and they don't throw light all over the place. They're definitely a little bit higher than usual but after a few night runs I haven't had anyone flash their lights at me and no cops have stopped me, so I think I'm alright.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:05 PM

Are those like the Xenon filled gas ? If they are they might run hot, i saw on a couple with xenon bulbs they actually melted the light bulb sockets if they are on long enough.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 PM

nah i read all the info. the filament runs hotter but the bulb itself does not. its the same wattage as standard halogen

Old 07-13-2011, 12:27 AM

Yeah they don't feel any hotter than the Sylvanias I had in there before. By plug and play I meant just as simple as a regular bulb, no ballast or anything required for these. Second night of driving with them in and still no one flashing their brights at me, passed 2 cops and neither looked at me twice, so they must not be throwing light any worse than stock. I'm going to do some tests tomorrow night with my buddy to see what they look like from outside and then I'll make my decision on whether or not to keep them.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Update: Tonight the driver's side bulb went out on me. Just burned out. So they only lasted about a month! If you want good lights go with the actual HIRs. They last longer. Or HIDs of course. It was fun while it lasted.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:02 AM

Get yourself a set of HID, they're cheap enough now, i paid less than $50 on Ebay over a year before, they still working very good, i have them HID in my Toyota Highlander which is an SUV for over 3yrs now and they're bright as hell and because of taller profile so they can shine the lights really good, and cop never give me any problem. If you're worry, you can adjust the headlight aiming downward a little so the light won't hit the other driver right in the eyes :-)