Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Interior project (Pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Default RE: Interior project (Pics inside)

I am offically sick of working on my interior. STUFF is chipping, weather is cold, carpet is fading, it seems like a disaster. I am not sure what to do next. Things are not turning out the way I would like them to and it's really pissing me off. I don't understand why that some pieces turned out so well and others are chipping so easy. I prepped them all the same way so why some pieces are chipping and why some others aren't is a mystery. One thing I would like to point out is that while painting your carpet might initially look good is will degrade quite quickly as I have seen first hand. So as of now, my dash is not done, my rear deck is not done and my seats still look BAD imo. Makes me feel like a ruined my car, I can't find any motivation to get it done everytime I start working on it something happens that pisses me off and makes me want to quit. Some one please give me some ideas or something. I have made up my mind that I need to order new carpet painting the carpet is a bad idea, equally enough painting your seats is not a great idea either. I am not sure if it is my methods or if the paint I am using just really sucks. But either way the **** isn't sticking the way it should now. It's not spraying on even or anything. Right now it's 39 degrees outside so that might be part of the problem but I am not sure. All I know is that it is really aggrivating me to know that I have a car and I can't drive it because the stupid interior won't do right. Not to mentionI am pretty sure I am missing some screws to put things back together. I wish I had some help but no one i know wants to lend a hand. Either way I don't know when i am going to get things finished or what I should do next. Feel free to give me some words of wisdom, advice, ect.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:01 PM

if you don't want to shell out the cash for new carpet then I bet dye would do the trick, most grocery stores carry fabric die in their cleaning section (mops, brooms etc) I thought my wife was nuts when she first told me that.... As for the trim pieces, if they are that cold when you paint them I don't think the paint is going to adhere/set-up properly. check the back of your can and make sure that it says it's ok to use in colder temps. Also, how are you preping the pieces? Walk me through your procedure.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

if you don't want to shell out the cash for new carpet then I bet dye would do the trick, most grocery stores carry fabric die in their cleaning section (mops, brooms etc) I thought my wife was nuts when she first told me that.... As for the trim pieces, if they are that cold when you paint them I don't think the paint is going to adhere/set-up properly. check the back of your can and make sure that it says it's ok to use in colder temps. Also, how are you preping the pieces? Walk me through your procedure.
Basically I am taking the piece spraying it with paint thinner to remove oil grease and dirt and cleaning it with that. Then I spray it with a layer of adheasion promoter let it dry then paint on the black in somewhat light coats until the tan is covered.Also I was thinking about the fabric dye myself but everyone keeps telling me it will fade, bleed onto clothes and needs to be sprayed on with hot water and all kinds of other stuff.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 PM

I wasn't aware that fabric dye wouldn't work.... My wife dyed some clothes with it and they have been just fine without any issues so I don't see why carpet would be any different (admitedly though I believe it gets applied in the washing machine, I.E. Hot water)

On the pieces that are flaking off have you tried roughing up the surface with a very high grit sandpaper?

Double check the "operating temperatures" on the spray you are using.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:17 PM

So how would you apply the dye, would you get more seats and dye them only or would you spray the dye over the seats and carpet that I have already painted? What is the best stuff to use to strip paint back off so I can redomy pieces. I tried using aircraft remover, and paint thinner and both are a pain in the REAR to get the paint off with. I read just now where people where using leather dye found in the shoe section to dye theirfabrics and vinyl. Ever heard of that? The people who are doing said they are quite pleased with the results and it is very permanent. What do you think? Also do you think I should just put my drivers seat back in and wait till spring when it warms up to do it or should I continue on beings my interior is all out. I am just not sure what to do anymore. I am like stuck ya know.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:32 PM

I personally would just apply the die as per the directions right over the top of the fabric. If it doesn't work then you're no worse off than you are now. The shoe dye thing sounds like a GREAT idea, If it's designed for extreme use like a shoe then I don't see why it wouldn't work on a seat. As for the pieces that are chipping I'd simply sand them down with some high grit sand paper so all the chipped pieces are off and it's smooth again (no need to remove any of the paint that is sticking just fine), apply your adesion stuff, then paint. At this point if those ideas don't work you're no worse off than you are now and none of this stuff is very expensive.

Side note: watch the profanity in your posts please, we try to keep it clean in here.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

I personally would just apply the die as per the directions right over the top of the fabric. If it doesn't work then you're no worse off than you are now. The shoe dye thing sounds like a GREAT idea, If it's designed for extreme use like a shoe then I don't see why it wouldn't work on a seat. As for the pieces that are chipping I'd simply sand them down with some high grit sand paper so all the chipped pieces are off and it's smooth again (no need to remove any of the paint that is sticking just fine), apply your adesion stuff, then paint. At this point if those ideas don't work you're no worse off than you are now and none of this stuff is very expensive.

Side note: watch the profanity in your posts please, we try to keep it clean in here.
Ok, well i quit for tonight. I was getting aggrivated so I thought it'd be best to quit before I got too mad and started messing things up. Sorry for cussing, didn't know it was a rule on the this forum, I was venting. I'll keep it clean from now on. Let me know if you have any more ideas.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:17 PM

The only other thing I can think of is that Krylon makes a KILLER exterior paint specifically for plastics. I repainted a plastic table with it and it's been outside in the sun/snow/being used and it still looks just fine. I preped the table by washing it with dish soap and a garden hose *L* Find the stuff that's outdoors stuff for plastics.

I just did some research and apparnetly it's called Krylon Fusion. This sparked a memory and I realized that on an old thread someone had painted their engine cover with it and gotten bad results. On the other hand when I've used it by simply washing the plastic then spraying it on I've had great results....

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_96084/tm.htm

Old 12-27-2007, 05:22 PM

Lol That is what I am using it says "Krylon Fusion for Plastics" maybe it's the cold weather that is affecting things.. I dunno.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 PM

i read the thread you linked to and the last post is some dude talking about how bad krylon fusion is.

Quick Reply: Interior project (Pics inside)