Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Need Headlight Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Default Need Headlight Advice

So here's my issue that I need some advice/direction on. I bought headlights, but I was an idiot and didn't do my proper research and ended up with SPEC-DŽ - Chrome Halo Projector Headlights [$197]. The LB light is a horrid 12W bulb... wtf right? I can't get a higher wattage bulb.

I should have went with SPYDERŽ - Chrome CCFL Halo Projector Headlights [$217] because the bulbs size is H1. Atleast if they weren't bright enough I could have dropped $15 on better ones.

The options I came up with are to: mod the light fitting to accommodate a better bulb, buy new headlights altogether, or buy fog lights with a high wattage bulb.

*I can't return the headlights because I had to cut the connector to the bulb because the socket was too deep and wouldn't fit.

Although I'm a little upset, it was a lesson learned... that cost me $197 lol

Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Without getting deeper.......I'd go with the fog lights but that is me.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:34 AM

It was a lesson, the next time you will not make mistakes

Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 AM

I know this is an old post but I have to say, I bought some Spec-D Dual Halo's about two weeks ago and I got H1 bulbs, and I saw all over the place people were putting down Spec-D for being un-aimed and un-aimable but they are aimable. I aimed mine. They throw good light and they aimed fine for me. Cut-off is clean. I'm curious, if you care to reply, why does everyone think Spec-D suck so bad?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Incognitjo
I know this is an old post but I have to say, I bought some Spec-D Dual Halo's about two weeks ago and I got H1 bulbs, and I saw all over the place people were putting down Spec-D for being un-aimed and un-aimable but they are aimable. I aimed mine. They throw good light and they aimed fine for me. Cut-off is clean. I'm curious, if you care to reply, why does everyone think Spec-D suck so bad?
i bought the
Spec-D  Honda Accord Black Led Halo Projector Head Light Spec-D Honda Accord Black Led Halo Projector Head Light
and installed them 8 days ago. The low-beams were so incredibly weak that it was difficult to see anything at night except reflectors and signs. The road disappeared in darkness. I drove around with my high beams on most of the time to compensate. They are adjustable - the top-right screw moves the horizontal and the low-left screw moves the vertical.

Here's why they suck so bad [made in Taiwan, incidentally]. While adjusting the left last night [7 days installed], I found that the lens in front of the high beam bulb was cracked - 4 small horizontal 20mm long cracks, and a 50mm melted haze spot. It's like the material they made the lens from is a super-cheap plastic - and this has been in very moderate weather [50-80F]. I hate to imagine these headlights in an actual summer day @ 100F+!! Note that this is with the bulbs that were included with the lights from the manufacturer.

I am returning them. If they can't last 7 days [maybe 20 uses?] without melting and cracking, there's no way they'll be good in a year or two. For now I will polish up my ancient OEMs and stick them back in there until I find something that will really be better.

pic https://plus.google.com/u/0/108916389746219985309/posts

Last edited by LokRobster; 11-08-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added link to pic.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM

Funny story about that...

You can adjust the aim of the low beams, they are the 9mm/Phillips head screws at the bottom left and right of the light. However, I had my Spec-D's for about 2 mnths and never adjusted the Brights because I dont use them all that often. I got a wild hair up my *** one boring day and decided to aim them. After about 20 minutes of attempting to aim them I noticed that that driver side lens was bubbles and smoking, and the passenger side was beginning to warp. I attempted to contact Spec-D but after 4 emails with not a one reply I gave up. Then I emailed the Distributer on the eBays and they exchanged them for me without even requiring the old ones back. Here's the kicker -> From the first day I had my Sepc-D lights, I was running H1 HID's in them. I dont know if you noticed but they say HID NOT ALLOWED all over them. I assume it is because they are worried about the heat and the lenses right? Well, I never had a bubbling/Warping/Melting issue with my low beams, they worked great and after the adjustment they were bright enough and as I stated, no issue. THen 20 minutes in to aiming my brights the damn things start to melt....

So the H1 Stock bulbs are to hot for the headlights, this is what I am seeing here. What kind of lame *** company designs something that is inherently going to fail. No one can tell me that they didnbt test them with full power bulbs for longer than 20 minutes....I think they know full well that those lights suck.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Default Just re-read this post

Here's why they suck so bad [made in Taiwan, incidentally]. While adjusting the left last night [7 days installed], I found that the lens in front of the high beam bulb was cracked - 4 small horizontal 20mm long cracks, and a 50mm melted haze spot.

Agreed, this is actually exactly what happened to me.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:41 PM

so in the spyder projectors, can you use HID H1's? im making sure before i purchase them.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:13 PM

I bought a set of the Spec-d headlamps to replace damaged stock assemblies. The light out-put was nearly non-existant. However, replacing the H1 bulbs that came with the assemblies with regular Sylvania H1 bulbs made a huge improvement and going to the Silver Star series provides night-time illumination that rivals the HIDs in my truck.

Quick note, the Sylvania H1 lamp is not an HID lamp so it won't over-heat/warp/crack or otherwise mess up your headlight assembly.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 AM

Note that my Spec-D halos got the melted lens effect without using HID - I did see the sticker and only used the stock bubls that Spec-D included with their unit.

They're basically just not good, unless perhaps you live in The Great White North and never see ambient temperatures above 40F.

For 05blkaccord, I don't know about the Spyders. i am kind of leery about any reasonably-priced non-OEM manufacturer now...

Quick Reply: Need Headlight Advice