Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

OEM for 99 accord

Old 01-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Default OEM for 99 accord

I was curious where i would be able to find OEM fog lights for my accord. Nothing against after market, but i would like to keep the look as factory as possible. My plans for the car are to clean it up, fix a bumper crack, a few dents, drop it a few inches and get some fogs lights.

Anyone know a good website for this? would also like new headlight housing, something that looks nice but doesnt scream aftermarket.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

The OEM fog lights for a coupe are still available:

handa-accessories.com/accext00.html

The version for the sedan are discontinued. If you have a sedan, you may be able to find it by checking periodically on ebay or some other sites.

New headlight housings from the dealer are expensive, if you just want replacements that look like stock, there are many places that carry them, for example rockauto.com

Old 01-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Thanks for the info. Does this site sell fog lights as well? I will just have to go the aftermarket route which I do not mind too much

Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Is yours a coupe or sedan? If it is the coupe, I would just buy the OEM fog lights directly from Handa Accessories, they are almost half of the previous retail price and come with all necessary parts and should work without any subsequent problems like some other aftermarket kits.

handa-accessories.com/accext00.html

Old 01-23-2011, 08:25 AM

I have a sedan. If i wanted to put HID headlights on my car, do i have to change out the housing or harness or is it as simple as switching out the bulb?

Last edited by 99hondaaccord; 01-23-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

Well, lighting engineers wouldn't recommend putting in aftermarket HIDs unless they were retrofitted with housing and reflectors made specifically for HIDs, and generally it is illegal.

But, I digress.. Aftermarket HIDs can be installed. The 35 watt version is generally plug and play... you will have to find a place to mount the ballast though (with either double-side tape, mounting bracket and screws, tie-wrap, or combination of them).

The 55 watt version generally requires a separate ground connection, power connection to the battery, fuse, and possibly the installation of a relay. This also requires mounting of the ballast.

You don't really need the 55 watt version. 4500K - 5000K gives you more usable lighting and is whiter. The higher temperatures are more for show (bluish, purplish, etc.) with less usable lighting.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM

I think I wouid rather go with a halogen bulb. I really do not want to do all that for HID lighting. Halogen blubs are just placed in where the current bulbs are right? Do those require a harness of some sort?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

A halogen bulb would actually give you the most usable lighting for your car without detrimental effects. You can make your own choice; but, I recommend the Philips 9012 HIR2 halogen bulbs. They are actually the brightest halogen bulb available for your low beam. Your car uses 9006 for the low beams, the only thing with the 9012 is that you just have to trim one of the plastic tabs on the base.

They don't produce glare like aftermarket HIDS. The Philips 9012 color is not white though; but, gives you more usable lighting. Additionally, it last longer than Sylvania Silverstars and Silverstars Ultra and is brighter as the lumens are higher. (A lot of Sylvania Silverstars do not last that long.) There is no need for a different wire harness.

I went with the Philips 9012 after a lighting expert/engineer detailed a lot of the benefits. Don't expect them to be as bright as HID; but, will be some of the best halogens you can get, as long as you are willing to doing a little trimming of the plastic tab.

Here is a link to read a little, it includes the link for modification of the plastic tab. Markus is the lighting expert. Daniel Stern from Candlepower is another expert. Just do a google search regarding HIR bulbs to learn more. I bought my bulbs through Amazon.com.

driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?p=757510