Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Scratch in bumper Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Default Scratch in bumper Help!

This is the tow hitch from hell story.....I was parked in a rest area on the mass pike went in to use the bathroom and to grab something to eat. Anyway I come back out and there is probably a two inch scratch in my bumper that is rather deep. Past just paint is scratched the black plastic underneath. From what I concluded I believe it to be from a tow hitch. If I were to claim it on my insurance my payment would go up. Anyway to fix this without replacing bumper? I will take a picture when I get home tonight. Someone please help! P.s. The reason I care so much is because I have only been paying on the car 4 months......little early for something that dumb to happen.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:40 PM

How would your rates go up on what sounds like a hit and run? When I was in college, someone keyed both sides of my Civic while I was in class. I contacted my insurance company and got it taken care of, with no increase in my rate.

As for your question, body shops can do a spot repair, where the affected area is masked off, scratches/gouges filled, and painted, then blended into the rest of the paint. How well it blends depends on the skill of the body man. Or, you can opt to have the entire bumper repainted, which obviously cost more, but then you know the paint will be consistent.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:50 PM
scottydean46
Unregistered
Default Fix for scratch

I fairly particular about fit and finish.

Here is my suggestion; since the paint is all gone and the black plastic is showing unfortunately there is not much you can do except use touch paint.

A body shop may be able to spray the area and try to blend new paint in with the "new original". There may be some residual mark left, and its probably at least $100-200 to do.

My experience with bumpers is that with plastic anyway, once you repaint them, they are much more vulnerable to stone chips and crap chipping the paint. The best fix is a whole new bumper with fresh paint (obviously more expensive).

The catch is that if this is through insurance they will only pay for a new bumper if the only one is cracked through, and not just scratched or scuffed.

Honestly, I would try to find a good body shop and just ask somebody if they can help you out. Tell them you don't want to make a claim and see what they would charge.

Best of luck