Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

Smoking/Tinting Tail Lights

Old 04-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Default Smoking/Tinting Tail Lights

I have a dark green '01 Accord sedan. Currently I have Altezza tail lights that I got about 2 weeks ago, but I want to replace them and go with something more stock looking. It's a toss up right now but I do want to smoke the tail lights. I don't want them blacked out but more of a medium darkness to it. I want the lights to be visible while driving at night and I don't want anything to peel. I was wondering what the best method is and what options I have. I've seen some people who have sanded their lights and painted them with a special paint, followed by clear coat, but the lights still did not have that original shine or gloss look and I'd like to maintain that.

Here is what I have now (if anyone is interested I can sell them):

Name:  IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 2019
Size:  71.5 KB

And these are my two options:

Name:  3800.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  32.7 KB

Name:  HA9800-4-DEPO-RED.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  46.5 KB

I did find these, but I think these are too dark, but not quite too sure.

Name:  HA9800-4-DEPO-BLK-1.jpg
Views: 2228
Size:  51.4 KB

I will also be getting tints for the car as well, so it would match better, haven't decided if I want to do limo tints or a shade darker, but i'll worry about that later.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Default RE: Smoking/Tinting Tail Lights

So your gonna buy brand new lights and tint them??? Why not tint the ones you have or your factory ones?

Old 04-29-2008, 10:03 PM

I don't like the style of the ones I have. I don't want to tint the stock ones either because I will be putting them back on when I decide to sell.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:18 PM

Well go for it... Just buy the ebay ones you posted, then get the spray and go crazy

Old 04-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you want the shine and no peeling you're going to have to open them up. That's the only way to go.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:57 PM

Open them up and tint from the inside correct? I'm considering doing the black led ones, but I dont know if those will be too dark..any thoughts?

Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

You could just spray the actual red parts.

I opened up my altezzas. It was really easy actually. Then sealed them up.
I posted a huge thing, just search tail light tinting on this websites search and youll see what I did.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:10 AM

I haven't done it myself, yet, but VHT Night Shades is what you need for the spray tint. I've seen pics on the tC forums and it looks pretty good. I think I'm going to spray mine to get a medium tint like you are looking for then get some vinal overlays.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:51 AM

You can also use Testors tint spray found at hobby/craft stores. It's probably cheaper than $15 Nightshades. I also used Krylon Translucent slate for mine and it looked great until it dried and turned a purplish color. I dunno if I would tint the black lights, unless it was very light.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:26 PM

go with the third ones.trust me.because i have them on my dark green accord and i love them....but here judge for yourself

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee309/Shadowm2007/

pay no attention the woman...thats my wife.but yeah i think this will give you a better idea...but if you are going to tint, i would suggest going with these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...spagenameZWDVW

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoking/Tinting Tail Lights