Appearance Talk about your Accord's interior and exterior mods here.

WTF Chrome Tape?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Default WTF Chrome Tape?

ive been looking into geting the chrome pillar covers for my 04. however im kind of a cheap b*st*rd and always wanna save a buck. on ebay these run bettween $60-$100.

i was strolling throught the part store yesterday and stumbled upon 'chrome tape'. it made me think of the aluminum tape used in heat ducting just not as thick. it claims to be weather resistant and bond well to most surfaces.also it has very professional instruction on applying it (surface prep, humidity levels to consider, and squegy use).i think you can put 2 and 2 together.

if anyone has experience with this 'tape', let me know. does the finish shine like the chrome around my windows? the pillarshave a very smooth surface with very staight edges. i think a steady hand and exacto knife would doit.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: WTF Chrome Tape?

Most of the pillar covers on eBay are just that, chrome stickers, they're just pre cut. Only a few are actual plastic. If you think it looks good enough then I see no reason to try it. Take some pics if this comes out good I'd like to do this too, I like to save a few bucks if I can.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 AM

Why not do it? It shouldn't be that expensive and I'm sure if it doesn't work well you can just lift it back off and use some goo gone and no one would ever know you did it. I'd just try to tuck the top end around/in as much as possible so that rain has less of a chance of sneaking under it

Old 08-21-2007, 12:18 PM

that sounds like a cool idea i dont think id want that much chrome on my car though but i was thinking about "rechrome-ing" my chrome trim its all scratched and swirled (from previous owner)

Old 08-21-2007, 05:30 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Why not do it? It shouldn't be that expensive and I'm sure if it doesn't work well you can just lift it back off and use some goo gone and no one would ever know you did it. I'd just try to tuck the top end around/in as much as possible so that rain has less of a chance of sneaking under it
goo gone is exactly what i was thinking if it messed up. and i was looking and most of the edges have some sort of weather stripping that would allow me to 'tuck' the tape in/under

ORIGINAL: HuYnHness

that sounds like a cool idea i dont think id want that much chrome on my car though but i was thinking about "rechrome-ing" my chrome trim its all scratched and swirled (from previous owner)
that would be pretty intricate because of its size. if i get around to doing this myself ill let you know how hard id think the small trim would be.

i just hope it reflects similar to the factory trim.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 AM

what brand is it? and where did you find it?

i saw a chrome brite brand at oreily's but i didnt quite like it

Old 08-22-2007, 12:06 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Ive seen that stuff. I would go for it, its not to expensive and if it doesnt work, there arent any permanent effects. But def. take your time. One small mistake can make the whole thing look bad. After applying it to your car, I would let it sit in the sun for a few hours to really bake on. Driving right after will sort of pull it off and not make it stick.

If you do do it, make sure to really clean that vinly/rubber. You want to get any armor all or w/e off and it may take awhile. But when you clean it, make sure you use a cleaner that is for cars. Using a product like Windex contain Ammonia and dries out rubber/weatherstripping/vinyl on vehicles. I would recommend Stoners Glass cleaner. That and a microfiber towel is like....AMAZING!

Old 08-22-2007, 05:30 PM

i really like stoner products ive used their invisible glass, more shine, andtrim shine wonderful brand

Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: HuYnHness

i really like stoner products ive used their invisible glass, more shine, andtrim shine wonderful brand
x2

well....ive only used the amazing invisible glass.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:14 PM

Make sure you dont get too crazy with the tape.
Iv seen a car with too much of it on and it looks corny.

If you peel the black stuff around the window sheild you get a little silver. i have alot of black strips tht if i scratch them a little i get some silver color.