Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

15" Subs????

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:47 PM
hype_killz
Unregistered
Default 15" Subs????

newbie here, first post...im 16 and my parents bought a 95 accorde ex 4 door, i was wondering if two 15" subs could fit in the trunk, what's the space needed for to boxed 15" subs?

Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: 15" Subs????

Assuming the trunk space on a 95 and 97 Accord are the same...it depends. The subs themselves will fit and the box will most likely be very tight unless you get a compact one. Go to Circuit City or Best Buy and measure the height of a box for 15's. I have two 12's in the back on my car and the Cap, and amp are screwed to the top of the box and I have about 2 or 3 inches to spare if that. My box is pushed to the very back of my backseats and since I have aftermarket speakers they almsot touch the amp, so keep that in mind. In my opinion a box for 15's would fit but the amp would have to be on the side or on the floor of your trunk. Or go with some 10 or 12 inch subs, most often size doesnt matter, its how many RMS watts they can handle. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:32 AM

My god, ya, two 15" subs are overkill IMHO. It's more for being able to say, "ya, I got two 15's in the trunk". So, if you're really serious about it sounding good, then go with the higher quality 10's or 12's. You'll be able to fit more in there and it will sound awesome (with less fit issues). Spend more time worrying about amps/wiring/signal, than sub size. I've competed many years, and never with anything more than ONE 12" sub. Sounded fine to me and a lotta judges.
Best of luck, and you have plenty of time to have fun with car-audio.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yup, what trihonda said, you can have awesome sound with just a single 12" but with 2 12"s you have to start rattle proofing the car, i dont even want to think about what you have to dampen with 2 15"s. If you want a lot of based you only need a 12" if you want overkill you want 2, if you want to waste a ton of money, and most likely not get more bass then the 2 12"s go ahead and go for the 15"s

i still have yet to see a 15" impress me enough to justify the money and make me want it

im running 2 12" off a 1000watt class D and its still overkill which is why im not pushing it as hard as i can
http://www.quantumaudio.net/quantsubs1.html the QC12D4 is what im running

Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 PM

marbro's subs are pretty impressive but if you want loud and not take too much space you should get these:
10" solobaric kicker
personally ive never used them myself but i heard they are LOUD and can usually blow away other 12" pairs with one alone
and really i think two 15" subs are way overkill like the other guys said and is only for show cause youre really not gonna use all of its power

Old 08-24-2006, 10:52 PM
dnsw24
Unregistered

they only treason you would want to do 15's is if you want to go to a competition. other than that i would go with two twelves it will sound a whole lot cleaner. i worked as an assistant manager of car audio at circuit city and ive seen almost everything

Old 08-25-2006, 02:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

youll see competition subs of all sizes, some of the better ones have used 12"s tho the amount of area needed for 15's isnt functional in some cars.....

as for the solobarics, i have the old style 10" and that sounds right depending on the enclosure with the right enclosure you can make many subs sound great but unless you know someone whos already made the perfect enclosure its trial and error on that one

Old 08-26-2006, 06:49 AM

the product specifications usually suggest the type and size on the enclosure for the best sound either that OR you can ask some nerds at a car audio shop (not that all guys/girls who work at car audio shops are nerds) they usually know ALOT

Old 08-26-2006, 11:24 AM

But again... this brings us back to the topic of whetehr 15's are desireable... IMHO, No. Not unless you have an adequate array of mid-bass woofers installed as well. The people who make 15's sound good, have tons of money, and are also installing smaller woofers to address the accuracy issues of the 15's. 15's are not going to be as tight as smaller woofers. It's a lot more mass to move back and forth each time the bass hits. So, you lose a little tigh-ness for the low rumble if you go only 15's. So, if you think just putting 15's might be a space issue, how about the space issue of 15's, then adding some 10's as well... IMHO, just go with one 12 or two 10's. You won't be lacking in bass. Concentrate on the rest of the install (and getting some extra hours at your job to pay for it all).
[8D]

Old 08-26-2006, 11:58 AM
dnsw24
Unregistered

you could buy a kicker loaded enclosure for about 400 the sub is a 12 but it is square so the suface area is about 14.2 and it will sound good.

Quick Reply: 15" Subs????