Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

1995 accord ex Sub-Woofer

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:33 AM
thebriz
Unregistered
Lightbulb 1995 accord ex Sub-Woofer

I am preparing to add a sub-woofer to my audio system and wanted to know if anyone else had done it on a 95 accord. What is the best way to run the cables? Where is the grommit hole in the firewall? etc. Pics of process would be amazing. If not, I can post pics after I do it so other people can see.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You nor your car are special, it is done just like any car. And your going to find out just like everyone else, your going to search. Now if you have any real questions I'd be more than glad to help, but holding your hand while you take baby steps I will not do.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:35 PM
thebriz
Unregistered

Here's a real question: Where is the grommit hole on a 1995 accord firewall?

I've tried searching online, I've tried looking up general amp wiring diagrams, I've tried general car audio books.

I came here hoping to find people willing to help me with my car. Not elitist jerks who want to call me a Noob.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:16 PM

There should be at least one grommet on the driver side, from inside the engine bay grab a flashlight and look for it along the firewall. My favorite way of getting a wire through, is first crimping the terminal your going to use to connect the wire to the battery. Then from the engine bay cut a small X in the grommet where you plan t pass your wire through. Then from inside the car and up and under the dash push the wire through the grommet, the already crimped terminal will make it a lot easier. I haven't done this on a 5th gen in years, but if I remember correctly you can get to it from under the dash with out having to take any panels off. Remember though once you have the wire through don't just run it straight to the battery, cut it a few inches back from the terminal and add the inline fuse.

As for the general install procedure just google "amp installation" you can even try throwing in 5th gen accord to narrow your results, but it's practically the same on every car and there are some good generic tutorials out there.

You will find that I'm more than willing to help, just not willing to do everything for you. After reading one of these tutorials, and your still having trouble understanding what is going on I can help you sort through the confusion. But how can you expect me to sit here and write 3 pages of instructions for everyone and anyone that wants to install their amp. There is far too much detail and explanation required to go through the whole process.

And please don't confuse my frustration with today's generation and their expectation of immediate knowledge with elitism, when you want to learn something you have to work for it, not always can it just be handed to you. And when it is just handed to you freely, it is something that should be greatly appreciated. My knowledge wasn't just handed to me I had to work for it.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 AM

lol... fatty brings the tough love!

I agree with everything he said. I've only been able to fit 8 ga. wire through the X though, for the 4 ga. I just installed, the grommet was too small to go around the wire.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 AM

You know how the fatt man is.

Hmmm I can't remember coming across a grommet too small to pass even a 6awg, but then the only "big" installs I have done are on my own cars. I think I could even get a 2awg through my grommet but it has been years since I've even seen mine.

Now if you want to run a 4awg, but are limited to 8awg getting through the grommet, and want to keep the grommet in place and sealed (somewhat at least), you can run two 8awgs from the battery than using a distribution block, bring those two 8awgs to one 4awg right after the grommet, or you could even run the 8awgs to the trunk. I just prefer dealing with a single 4awg than two 8awgs. Just my stoned opinion.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:46 AM
thebriz
Unregistered

Thanks for the tips. I just hadn't found the exact right search term for some reason. I think I searched Sub woofer install instead of amp install. Searching Amp Install brought up a crutchfield video which explained exactly how to run the cables. Sorry to ask here too soon.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:23 PM

Yeah crutchfield has some nice instructional videos, but there are some write ups that are pretty good elsewhere on the net. Just pick which ever suits you better, personally I prefer the detail of write ups, but to each his own. If you have any problems during the install feel free to ask away.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:31 AM
Default Firewall grommet

Originally Posted by t00fatt
Yeah crutchfield has some nice instructional videos, but there are some write ups that are pretty good elsewhere on the net. Just pick which ever suits you better, personally I prefer the detail of write ups, but to each his own. If you have any problems during the install feel free to ask away.
i also did this with 5awg wire on my 95 accord coupe but what I’m having an issue with and yes I’ve done months of research and no result I need to find the oem hole cut for the oem fog light harness I heave a set of JDM fog lights for my accord and I want to run the harness to the oem switch but haven’t the aleightestvidea where the hole is cut is it behind the intake manifold on the firewall???

Old 03-16-2018, 08:26 AM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

I dont know about on a 5th gen but if it is anything like a 7th gen then the majority of the wiring in the car is run in one main loom and splits off as the wires run the length of the car. There should be one large grommet on the driver side that this loom runs through. You should be able to feed you wire through that opening.

there is also always the option of drilling a new hole and putting in a new grommet.

Last edited by neophyte; 03-16-2018 at 08:28 AM.