Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2000 Accord EX steering wheel radio controls wiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

sorry for the delay.

like many, each button triggers a different voltage drop (via different resistance).

each aftermarket head unit looks for a different configuration.

that is why we use the PacAudio SWI-X. if your aftermarket head unit is capable (via 3.5mm jack) then it can be interfaced with this module. the module is programmed based on what functions you want (usually a list of about 10). so you can program the buttons for track +/- or volume +/- , mute or folder skip, etc. whatever you desire.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh nice, I didn't know there was an actual box you could buy just for this. I'll check into it

Old 06-22-2013, 04:06 PM

Evon - what did you end up doing with this project? I am in the same situation with the exact same car.

Thanks!!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Nothing yet, since the head unit was one of those cheap things from China it died really quick. I got a basic Sony unit in there now and just put the whole project on the side now. I can easily get at least one button to work with using the wire as a high or low signal line.

The only idea of a homemade setup I could think of was having 3 relays of different resistance on the output end and resistors on the steering wheel switches end and each button press activates one or two or all three of the relays based on how much resistance the signal lines puts out, then somehow use the number of relays activated to control the buttons. If that makes any sense.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:17 PM

Evon - I called Crutchfield and the tech said the JVC KD-X200 unit I bought does not have any type of volume control pins in the back.

What you're saying makes sense; but I'm afraid without inputs I won't be able to DIY rewire. I don't feel like paying $50 for the PacAudio SWI just for three buttons. It probably will annoy me until I buy it though.

Let me know if you come up with anything. It'd be cool to control anything with those buttons.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Once I can get the signals separated into 3 high or low signal lines, wiring them up to the radio is no problem. Just a matter of soldering the outputs to relays then directly to the buttons you want to control on the stereo, or anything else in the car for that matter.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

yep, you will need a capable head unit to consider.

i have the same three buttons, but i want more than that. so i may look to steal a controller with more buttons from another car. the SWI-X is universal for most vehicles and head units with the capability. i want volume, mute, track, source, and phone buttons.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

When doing advance controls like that (holding them down longer for other options or pressing more than one at a time) you would almost need some type of IC chip to decode all the signals. That sounds like a much easier solution than making a complete custom circuit with capacitors and stuff.