Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2001 Accord OEM Stereo Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Default 2001 Accord OEM Stereo Replacement

Hello
I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX V6 with the stock OEM Radio (01 02 Honda Accord 6 Disc CD Cassette Player Radio | eBay) .There is nothing wrong with the system but still I want to upgrade to a newer system for extra features like BT, USB playback, etc. I am thinking of buying this Pioneer stereo (
Amazon.com : Pioneer FHX-720BT 2-DIN CD Receiver with Mixtrax, Bluetooth® for Hands-Free Calling and Audio Streaming, Siri Eyes Free, USB Playback, Pandora, Android Music Support : Electronics Amazon.com : Pioneer FHX-720BT 2-DIN CD Receiver with Mixtrax, Bluetooth® for Hands-Free Calling and Audio Streaming, Siri Eyes Free, USB Playback, Pandora, Android Music Support : Electronics
). I have a couple of questions.
- It is a 2-DIN system so I am guessing the pioneer system should fit?
- If it doesn’t fit where can I buy mounting kit/brackets to make it fit?
- I think I will also need an adapter/converter since I am going from OEM to non-OEM radio?
- Any other wires/kit I need to order before replacing the stereo?

Thanks in advance.
Sunny

Old 04-20-2015, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

the mounting kit and wiring harness are additional expenses. if you buy a replacement from Crutchfield, they will include the mounting kit and wire harness adapter you need, with instructions on replacing. Based on your questions, i think they are a good vendor to use. if you want to buy each part separately, visit Metra Online | Welcome to Metra Auto Parts Online Warehouse and enter your vehicle information for a list of mounting kits and wire harnesses. installation instructions are available for free download.

I prefer Alpine stereos, personally. What to get depends on your desired features and budget.

i recently sold my 2001 EX V6, and did a ton of mods to it as well as maintenance/repairs. i'm happy to answer any questions.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the reply. I ordered the Metra harness and bracket and plan to do installtion next weekend. Is there any manual or video I can refer to? Also, I have been told by my friend to run my own ground. Is it necessary? I thought that the wire harness would match all the connections including ground.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

the factory harness has a ground wire that can be used. i also run a dedicated chassis ground. the factory ground wires are tiny.

you can reference the install manual for the Metra mounting kit - the instructions are available on their website. that's as complicated as it is.

my youtube channel has some videos on making good wiring connections - applicable for connecting the metra harness to the head unit harness.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:52 PM

Got it. I got the Posi connectors that require only twisting. You think they are good enough for the job?

Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

yep, those connectors are made for the job. i prefer a soldered connection, but not everyone is comfortable with soldering wires so that's where the posi-loc connectors come in.

i wire houses with WAGO nuts instead of the traditional twist wirenuts. gotta embrace modern methods.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:51 PM
Default Radio not working!!!

Alright, I ended up buying Sony WX-GT90BT car stereo.
Hooked up everything (with some help from your video) and it looks good.

Everything works EXCEPT the radio. This unit has a connection for XM but I just want to run regular radio. The metra wiring harness has a "blue" wire for antenna but the Sony Headunit harness does not have any wire that says antenna. The blue wire on sony side says REM OUT (which I think is remote amp wire).

When I dissembled the stock unit, there was a separate wire going into the unit. I thought that was the antenna wire but didn't see a place to put it. I put it in the XM "jack" in the sony headunit but the radio still does not work.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to fix it?? I think I am missing something really basic.

As an extra question out of curiosity, what would have happened if I had not removed the battery connections while assembly.

Last edited by sunnyaccord; 04-28-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

the radio antenna plug looks like this

it comes from the car and there is only one place to plug it in, the lower left hole

if not fully inserted, you won't get much of a signal.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Accord OEM Stereo Replacement-car-antenna-wire-plug.gif  
Old 04-28-2015, 11:41 PM
Super Moderator

if you leave the battery connected you just run the risk of shorting out a wire and blowing a fuse. if you make the harness connections ahead of time, then there isn't a concern swapping plugs.