Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2002 Accord Dash Lights Weird After Kenwood HU Installed

Old 09-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Default 2002 Accord Dash Lights Weird After Kenwood HU Installed

Ok so heres my problem, ive been reading on the forums and i cant find anything thats quite like mine, i put a kenwood head unit in my car removing the factory one, (using a metra wiring harness to install the new one). then realizing that the dash board lights are not lighting up on my car nor are the climate control lights......so i took out the kenwood and looked at my wiring..heres where it gets weird, i know your not suposed to use the orage illmination wire on metra wiring harness or the dimmer wire, but thats the only way i can get my dash lights to come on, i hooked up the illumination wire to the red ignition wire, so my dash lights stay on when the key is in all the time. and the only way i can get my climate control display to light up to take the dimmer wire and connect it to the ground wires??? if i disconnect both orange wires i get no dash lights at all.....any help is great

Old 09-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

You blew a fuse for the dash lights or accidentally turned the dimmer **** down. You are bypassing the controls and fuse by using the wiring in the harness.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:52 AM

what fuse is it? and is it located on drivers side or passeneger?
also for got to mention my parking lights are always on when the key is turned wired the way i have it...the parking lights do not work at all if i unwire it the way i have it

Old 09-22-2011, 09:21 AM

ok so i replaced the small lights fuse on the passenger side fuse box and unwired the 2 orange wires and now my parking lights work by the switch on the coloum but i cannot see if my dash lights are working cause of the daylight. my new question is i replaced a 15 amp fuse with a 30 amp...will this cause damage or will it blow again?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:01 AM

also now after my last update i realized that my shifter lights go out after i turn the dashboad lights on

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Can't put larger fuses in, won't be safe. Fuses are sized for the wire. If a fuse pops, you have a short.

Did you cap or tape the orange wires?

I will pull the manual to look at the wiring schematic.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Dude, your vehicle wiring is messed up, sounds like some wirees were connected or improperly grounded.

List every wiring change that has been done to the vehicle.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:41 AM

OK As of this moment my car is wired like this

After i replaced the small lights fuse. i unhooked the orange illmination wire that was hooked up to the red ignition wire. So right now the orande and white dimmer wire is hooked into the ground wires from the harness to the radio, now all of my lights are working and i can control them by the thing on the left side of the coloum the only thing that doesnt work is the dimmer control on the instrument panel.