Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2005 Honda Accord LX Aux Input

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Default 2005 Honda Accord LX Aux Input

Hi guys,

First post...be easy please. What's the best and cheapest way to add an auxiliary input to my 2005 Honda Accord LX? I did a search here and on google and I'm getting some confusing information. Can someone help a newbie out? thanks in advance!

Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

no worries at HAF, we don't make fun of people for asking questions.

what radio do you have? do you have an XM button?

you have several options, but the type of radio may eliminate some of them.

the cheapest way is an FM modulator. i recommend a hard-wired one and just to avoid the wireless models altogether. the Clarion FM200 is a nice piece.

USA Spec, GROM Audio, PAC-Audio all make OEM integration pieces for adding an AUX input or iPod inputs.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 PM

Hi,

Thanks for responding (i was getting worried).
I don't have an XM button. Think I just have the basic (the LX is the lowest trim). I'd like a hardwire...wireless is too annoying. How hard are these to install? How can I be sure that it's compatible? I see that the clarion is listed for $50, can I assume they are all in this price range? What is a good vendor?

Sorry for the question barrage!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

FM modulators are pretty easy. You need to remove the head unit, but I can give you instructions for that. You need to locate a switch which could require drilling a small hole somewhere, maybe a blank switch plate left of the steering wheel. You'll need to connect to factory radio wiring for power, I can tell you which wire colors.

I recommend that clarion because I have used it before with success. I have used others with varying levels of success. Vendor doesn't matter, even used on eBay is fine. There are fewer good quality FM modulators now that AUX inputs and OEM integration is so wide spread.

Ask as many questions as you want. That's why i'm here.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Ive had clarion installed in a few of my cars over the years also..a great product they make..

Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Default hi guys.

Is this unit something that I could install myself without risking messing something up? How can I be sure it is compatible? I have the 2005 LX.

And I thought this was a directly aux input? Why does it say fm modulator? is it both?

Last edited by corz123; 10-06-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

Originally Posted by corz123
Is this unit something that I could install myself without risking messing something up? How can I be sure it is compatible? I have the 2005 LX.
thats a pretty openended question. we dont know how comfortable you are working on stuff. anytime you mess with the electrical system you run the risk of messing something up. this, however, should run a very low risk. KHA said that he would tell you how to do it. after he tells you how, if you feel comfortable doing it then go for it ( I dont think you will feel it to be too dificult. he has a good way of explaining things to make them make sense). if you do it yourself just do as he says, careful not to skip steps and making sure all exposed wire is not left exposed and you should be good man.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:27 AM

Hi so just to make sure before I do this.

1) This is compatibly w/ 2005 LX. (Is further info needed to determine if this is compatibly w/ what I currently have?

2) Retailers. Is Ebay the most reliable/economical bet or is there something better?

3) Why does this thing say fm modulator? Thought this was direct aux input.

4) Does this work well with calls?

Old 10-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

1) FM Modulators are compatible will all radios that have a functional FM tuner.

2) Buy anywhere, but recognize places that don't offer a warranty are cheaper.

3) It is an FM modulator that allows for an aux input. You asked for the cheapest solution available that works well. An FM modulator is that piece. a direct input requires an XM button and costs over $100.

4) It is not a bluetooth module. If you use your phone and plug the 3.5mm (or 2.5mm adapter) cable into the headphone out, then the sound from the phone will play over the speakers, but you still use your phone mic.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

HU removal/install instructions
http://www.metraonline.com/files/pro...NST99-7864.pdf

Wiring Colors
2005 Honda Accord (6 Speaker System) Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram
Car Radio Constant 12v+ Wire: White/Green
Car Radio Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Red
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Red/Black
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: Red

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A