Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord Audio Anomaly

Old 11-28-2012, 03:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Spoolme
I was having problems too. The audio sounded garbled in every mode Bluetooth, fm, xm... i brought it in and the dealer reset the stereo somehow. My aux port was also not working. Seems okay now for about a week. I will say this the supposed 360 watt stereo in this car sucks.i dont know if its crsppy speakers or what. The tech at Honda said it was alpine who made the system a buddy of mine said Panasonic. All i know is it blats with any bass and sounds like crap. My 07 bimmer sounded soooooo much better. So did my wifes old eclipse.
I am so hoping Honda comes out with a fix sooner rather than later. I'm not happy with mine either. I have direct messaged @HondaCustSvc on Twitter and am in touch with my dealer too. The car is awesome in every other way, but the audio is so bad...especially when driving, which is when you listen to music the most anyway! Oy!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 PM

This prolem is not related to an I-phone. I have the same problem happining to me with my 2013 EX-l and I do not have an I-phone. I called Honda customer servise and they told me that people need to contact them about this problem so they can have a record for this failure and hopefully to provide a solution very soon.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM

I will call the dealer as well. I already reported to Honda headquarters by phone about an issue with the radio when they made a follow up with a survey: I had to restore the radio once after a week of use.

Before I read this topic, I posted a problem with the radio where the tire pressure warning light was also involved.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-accord-51864/

Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just bought a 2013 Accord Touring on 12/14/2012 and I've had similar audio issues. I also bought a 2013 Odyssey Touring Elite for my wife on that date and we both use iPhone 5s. Currently, we have no issues with the iPhone 5 on the Odyssey, but it doesn't use the same technology as the Accord. With the Accord, we've experienced the following (in the past 72 hours):

1. Two instances of bluetooth speaker problems. I used the voice command feature (double tapped the voice button, and said "call FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME"). Each time the recipient could hear me but I could not.

2. After hanging up and experiencing the problem defined above, I could not change the volume of the stereo (both steering wheel and **** controls).

3. I had one instance where the audio was garbled on on speakers regardless of input. Also, the balance controls were inverted.

I took the car in today for service and they gave me a 2013 EX-L as a loaner. I've had two issues related to Bluetooth audio... I used voice command to call someone. I could hear the recipient but he could not hear me (kinda opposite of problem #1).

I hope Honda issues a software update soon to fix these problems.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

As a follow up to my previous note, the Honda service adviser working on my car told me that he's had several complaints about the compatibility between the new Accord and the iPhone. He asked me if it was ok to pair a Samsung Galaxy (not sure what model) and a Galaxy Note to see if he could replicate the problem. I doubt he'll be able to reproduce the problem, but I'll let everyone know in the morning.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 PM

hello i have a 2013 exl 4cy that i just purchased and i have the identical problem have you found a fix I have a Galaxy II
I have not had an issue with the bluetooth but i have had the issues on the volume controls not working and the touch screen not working and the DISP/sel/BACK controls not working. I had to turn the radio off. Once i believe I had to restart the car. My problem seemed to start when I was using the touch screen trying to set presets. It seemed to clear up when I used the top screen and sel **** instead of the touch screen when there is a duplication of actions.

Last edited by gstadlin; 12-17-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:55 AM

I am wondering, as new smart phones come out, how is Honda, or us as owners going to be able to get our cars updated to keep up with the new phones?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Got my car back

I got my car back today. The techs were unable to reproduce any of the problems I mentioned. They asked me to record a video of the problem next time it happens so that they can send it to Honda engineers. My service adviser also recommended disconnecting Bluetooth for a couple of days to see if the radio continues to have problems. I'm not sure if I'm going to do that as it really does appear that the issues are only present when Bluetooth is used.

I quickly looked online to see if there is a software update for the Accord and I couldn't find anything. My car is currently using version 1.00.2008. Although I doubt these problems are caused by a bug in the phone (I'm pretty sure Apple knows how to write standard-compliant Bluetooth code), I just updated my iPhone 5 to iOS 6.0.2 (released today for iPhone 5s and iPad Minis only). Let's see if I continue to have issues... or if new issues arise!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Jaretr1
I am wondering, as new smart phones come out, how is Honda, or us as owners going to be able to get our cars updated to keep up with the new phones?
The odd thing about these problems is the fact that Bluetooth is a standard and the hands free calling, audio operations, etc. are also specified. If they engineered everything to the standard, there really shouldn't be any issues working with phones in the futures, with some limitations. For example, if the car used Bluetooth 2.1 and my phone used v4.0 (which it does), I would expect to use all of the 2.1 features but not the 4.0 ones.

These systems really aren't complex. I'm almost wondering if there is some sort of internal electrical interference that's causing these problems. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I could be blowing smoke.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by cjperry1
The odd thing about these problems is the fact that Bluetooth is a standard and the hands free calling, audio operations, etc. are also specified. If they engineered everything to the standard, there really shouldn't be any issues working with phones in the futures, with some limitations. For example, if the car used Bluetooth 2.1 and my phone used v4.0 (which it does), I would expect to use all of the 2.1 features but not the 4.0 ones.

These systems really aren't complex. I'm almost wondering if there is some sort of internal electrical interference that's causing these problems. I'm not an electrical engineer, so I could be blowing smoke.
Sounds like a plausable explanation to me. There has to be some issue other than hardware causing the audio system to sound so bad.

What bothers me though then is why is there such a large disparity between phones as far as what phones can do bluetooth streaming audio, Pandora, AHa, text and email etc. There seem to be almost none (at least through Sprint) that can do all of the features the car can support. Some phones do some and not others, but none do all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Accord Audio Anomaly