Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2013 Accord Audio Anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by joepquin
Has anyone heard when Honda will have a software update for the audio system? It truly a shame that the audio system on my wife's 2012 Odyssey works better than on my 2013 Accord! It is getting to the point of being completely unbearable. I cannot use the Hands-Free to make calls with my phone anymore. The sound quality is horrible. Every call is garbled and can barely be understood. The system still will not load my address book, The caller ID does not work properly, I am getting the screeching from the speakers more frequently, etc. It is not what I expected when I purchased the vehicle.
Looks like we're in the same boat... my wife's 2013 Odyssey works better than my Accord!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

My sales guy called me this week. He finally encountered the same problem while delivering a car to a customer!!! I'm glad that someone at Honda finally has first-hand experience with these issues. He also told me that they're expecting a fix in six weeks, so I guess that means the middle of February at the earliest before we seen things (maybe) getting fixed.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Here's a short (2min) YouTube video of one of my audio issues with the Accord:

I'm going to send this to my sales and service reps and get their feedback.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM

I also posted on the nav-bluetooth thread, but my symptoms are audio related at this point. Car is 13 EXL V6 Sedan. Probs:
-Audio lockup - system froze with music playing and no controls would respond. Turned off car and after starting, problem gone. (1) occurrence
-The screeching sound across all input sources - cleared by shutting off the car. (2) occurrences
-Absolutely poor dynamic range. Little bass. Controls for bass treb and particularly subwoofer seem to have no effect. System sounds ridiculously bad. Louder and better on an actual CD than other sources, but still not satisfactory.

Will be attempting to document via video before I visit my dealer.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies

UPDATE: I actually experienced some of the audio issues while I was at the dealership last week. I went to pick up my plates and once I got out to the car it started having problems. I was able to take it immediately to service so that a tech could observe some of the troubles we've all experienced. I took video of the problems using my iPhone 5 and I will post those videos to YouTube shortly.

My service adviser observed the issues and had a couple of other Honda techs and/or advisers observe the issues. I asked them about the patch that's supposed to come out in the next month or so. They told me that the patch will only address iPhone 5 connectivity issues. I hope they are wrong since the car has issues outside of that specific phone.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:52 PM

Been watching this thread and many others re the audio problems. I'm looking at the coupe XL navi but am worried about how bad te audio is. I took a test drive in a coupe I4 6MT and loved it but the audio fuse had been pulled - excuse was something to do with the key code not being configured - go figure:-) :-) :-) I think I'll be picking a different dealer when I buy.

So how bad is the audio?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Here's my video of several issues:
1. Awful audio quality (regardless of input)
2. Backup camera guidelines missing
3. Odd audio feedback
4. Messed up balance controls

Old 01-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'd like to reiterate a point from one of my posts last week - my service tech told me that the upcoming Honda patch is designed to address Bluetooth issues with the iPhone, specifically the iPhone 5 (which is what I've only used with the car). I really hope this isn't true, as the audio issues are present with other phones. I just want everyone to be aware of what I've been told.

Side note, the iPhone 5 works perfectly fine with our 2013 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite.

My Honda service adviser told me that these cars have a problem with iPhones because they use an Apple operating system. This makes no sense at all given that Bluetooth is a standard, regardless of OS. Plus, one would think that Honda would test the world-wide #2 OS in their cars!!!

Out of curiosity, are there any lawyers in this forum? If so, what legal options do we have to receive compensation for our troubles? The car is clearly not performing to its advertised functions. Additionally, some of these issues could be considered safety hazards (if my Bluetooth crashes and I can no longer change the volume, a high radio volume could be very distracting to the driver and may cause an accident).

Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM

I am also a 2013 Honda Accord owner, and had problems with the audio system twice in the past, but have been months now without a single issue. I won't say that the problem has been fixed but if I have kept my mouth shut is because I have had no more problems with the audio.

Still, I just read the message above, about potential for an accident if a malfunctioning Bluetooth does this and that and distracts the driver...

I think that in this case I'll take the Devil's advocate position.

The entertainment system with so many features still is just that: entertainment.

When someone uses it as "part of driving", he is taking responsibility of his actions, this is to say, if any thing goes wrong and guides to an accident, then the driver is the sole responsible.

The car manufacturer must be responsible only and solely when there is a mechanical or electrical problem that belongs to the functional of the vehicle, of course, as long as the proper maintenance of it has been performed.

But the audio system is not related to the functional part of the vehicle to make it perform as safe to drive.

The use of the audio system, like volume, changing radio stations, reading text messages, answering calls, watching the GPS maps, even watching videos in some entertainment systems, all of these are the sole responsibility of the driver.

I don't know what argument can be valid about distraction, but turning the radio On is just to get distracted while driving a car, and several accidents have happened already by drivers having loud music and not hearing the traffic around, ignoring signals and similar by being singing, etc... and so far, no one started a suit against Pioneer or the brand of the radio.

It is fine to make a claim against a faulty audio entertainment device in the car, but trying to blame a faulty audio system as causing an accident... lol.. just turn the radio Off and keep 100% concentration on the driving... this should be the best advice if such audio failure can be the potential to distract you and have an accident.

Last edited by darkseat; 01-29-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Where is the update?

I took my Accord to the dealer almost 4 weeks ago. After much discussion and disbelief of my claims from the technicians at the dealership, they finally messaged Honda. The dealership advised me that a software update would be out "soon"
Has anyone been told WHEN the update is supposed to be out?
I have filled out 3 surveys sent to me by Honda since I bought the vehicle 7 weeks ago. In each survey I expressed my utter disappointment with the audio and information display. I have yet to receive anything from Honda
The salesman that sold me the car mentioned to me that he has sold many Accords and no one else has had any issues. I reminded him that I spend almost 3 hours a day in my car commuting to work. That equals about 600 miles every week. I believe that most of his customers don't spend nearly as much time in their car as I do.

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord Audio Anomaly