Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2014 Honda Accord EX-L--Add Sub w/o Amp??

Old 05-02-2017, 02:29 PM
Default 2014 Honda Accord EX-L--Add Sub w/o Amp??

Howdy, Forum Members!

I see LOTS of discussions on adding after-market amps and subs, but I haven't seen a thread about just adding a sub.

I replaced all the factory speakers with Rockford Fosgate minus the factory sub. I have a RF Punch 10" sub in a down-fire box just laying around.

What if I simply unplugged the factory sub, ran extended wires to the Punch 10 sub without an after-market amp? It should give me something, right?

Old 05-04-2017, 10:23 PM

Wow! This forum is dead.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey the idea you have may or may not work, because the factory audio systems are designed to be very efficient for little wattage. So that you have an aftermarket Subwoofer it may work just depends on the watts the factory amp will push out.

It's your need any additional car audio parts or installation kit head on over to
Sonicelectronix.com and use discount code( AubreyH ) for 5% any purchases

Old 05-05-2017, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alaskanseminole
Howdy, Forum Members!

I see LOTS of discussions on adding after-market amps and subs, but I haven't seen a thread about just adding a sub.

I replaced all the factory speakers with Rockford Fosgate minus the factory sub. I have a RF Punch 10" sub in a down-fire box just laying around.

What if I simply unplugged the factory sub, ran extended wires to the Punch 10 sub without an after-market amp? It should give me something, right?
The factory sub has weak output because of the factory amp and DSP. more amplification is needed, along with bass restoration. an Audio Control LC2i is the most common bass restoration device I see used in our cars.

If you tap the sub output before the factory amp you get a flat, clean output you can feed into an amp for plenty if low end.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

He is correct on that better sound will need more power. Audio control makes one of the best interface for factory radios

Old 05-07-2017, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Moochdog
He is correct on that better sound will need more power. Audio control makes one of the best interface for factory radios
Does that amp run everything or just the sub? I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 10 in a downfire box. Thought about putting an RF mono sub under the seat to push it, but not sure where to hook it into? Replace the factor amp or in addition to?

Old 05-08-2017, 12:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I know with bose audio systems in nissans each speaker has its own amp but as for your car I'll have to do some research on it I'm not sure if the amp powers just the sub or all the speakers. But add on to the factory system is easier. Taking the factory amp out my cause the radio to not work properly

Old 05-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by alaskanseminole
Does that amp run everything or just the sub? I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 10 in a downfire box. Thought about putting an RF mono sub under the seat to push it, but not sure where to hook it into? Replace the factor amp or in addition to?
The factory amp runs everything. it gets a 5 channel input from the factory HU - front, rear, sub. it has 5 or 7 outputs depending on trim level (front tweeters active or passive).

The sub output from the factory amp is garbage. you want the sub output from the HU, accessible at the factory amp. I believe this will work fine, to intercept the signal before the amp while also using the factory amp for speakers. I haven't done that personally, though.

You will need to disconnect the factory sub (remove it, preferably ). ANC must be defeated.