Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

8th Gen Stereo Replacement (W/ Nav)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 02:42 PM
Ash
Newest Of Newbies

With your new radio powered up, can you play FM radio on your factory unit and confirm that you get audio on both speakers.

Secondly, you mentioned that when you move RCA plugs around, you get audio from the driver side and with the red one plug into the aux out R and the white into the aux out L. you get audio from the passenger side. This tells me that your RCA to 3.5mm cable is working fine. Problem appears to be in the new head unit.

Last edited by Ash; 04-27-2024 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 04:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yea everything works fine with my factory radio. I get audio on both sides. What exactly do you think is wrong with the new unit.

I have a question. Everything online is cater to the 8th gen Honda Accord without factory navigation. If I was to get a new unit that is for the Accord without navigation, can I install the new unit onto my car, which is the one with factory navigation?

Old 04-27-2024, 04:31 PM
Ash
Newest Of Newbies

It is good to find out that your factory unit is working fine plugging in wrong type of harness can damage the factory unit and your car electronics.
You will not find harness made for factory navigation cars. That’s why I had to make my own harness however, it is very time-consuming and requires lots of skills so I don’t advise you to do that.
You are very close your new harness should look like the one shown in the picture below. In my opinion. You only require the connectors highlighted in green to power up your new radio. Can you please disconnect the remaining adapters from your factory radio and give it a try.

If you still get audio from one side after making the above stated changes I have a feeling that your new stereo is not outputting audio from one of the RCA connectors.
It is not ideal but this connector should get your both of the speakers working. You can give it a try and if you get audio from both of the sites then you can return your old unit and replace it with a new one and that should work.
Disclaimer, I am sharing information based on my understanding of your description. I am not responsible for any damage that might happen if you wish to follow these instructions.
I recommend that you seek professional assistance.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So for this connector, what port does the male end go into? I bought the 3.5mm to RCA cable like you said and it has the adapter into the aux port and then two male(red & white). The picture of the wires on the last post is what I used. Also I plug in the black female port into the new head unit which is on the top of the picture next to the CAN-BUS. Just to let you know, the picture of the harness you got is different then the one they gave me. There were much more ports and plugs. I will try to post the picture if I have it.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Old 04-28-2024, 04:01 PM
Ash
Newest Of Newbies

I bought following harness to use some parts in my Sony head unit. In my opinion you only require follow connectors.
for the sake of testing only connect the connectors shown below to your old and new head units + Aux cable between your new headunit and middle console, do not connect other connectors to the old head or new head units.
completely disconnect your can bus adapter and leave it outside the car.

if it doesn’t work then send me a closer photo of your connector, that looks like mine.
I was able to zoom into photos and I have marked the required connectors in green. Don’t plug anything else.

in the picture below, I see lots of RCA connectors, you only need “Aux L Out” and “Aux R Out” for your RCA to 3.5mm audio cable. Please ensure that you don’t connect anything to the remaining RCA cables.
I have also put a Red Cross on CAN bus box. Please completely disconnect the can bus box and leave it outside your car.

Last edited by Ash; 04-28-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:12 AM
Ash
Newest Of Newbies

Hi,
Did you get it working?

Old 04-30-2024, 05:17 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey, no it still didn't work. I decided to return that unit and I am waiting for the new unit. I also bought the Metra 70-1730 harness, antenna harness and keeping the rca jack. I am going to see if that works. Do you have any threads or posts with backup camera? The new unit comes with a backup camera. My car didn't have the factory backup camera FYI. Thanks!

Old 04-30-2024, 05:26 AM
Ash
Newest Of Newbies

There are several good YouTube videos covering after market camera installation.I would recommend that you do this in small chunks,
1) Get your new streo working,
2) Then use radio retention harness and run FM on your new radio.
3) Then install reverse camera.
Best of luck with your new unit and keep us posted.

Old 04-30-2024, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to these tablet screens. Here are a few things to consider about them, whether you pay $100, $1000, or $2000. They all come from the same factory overseas, mainly in China. Most of these screens use very cheap LCD panels, and since they sit on top of the dashboard, they weren't designed to handle direct sunlight. They also run on low-quality processors that use the Android system, similar to what's found in high-end tablets. Trying to run that software can make these screens unreliable, especially since Android isn't a real-time operating system. That's where a lot of glitches come from in the car.

You already have everything you need in your car if you just want Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Just get a wireless CarPlay and a backup camera. There's no point in changing your screen for a bigger one that constantly glitches, needs resetting, and usually fails within six months.

We can offer you a product that comes with a lifetime warranty, made in the USA, where you can speak to a real person. Do you have any questions before buying, during installation, or about changing your screen for that particular car? Because you already have a beautiful digital display in the car as it is.

Quick Reply: 8th Gen Stereo Replacement (W/ Nav)