Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

94 OEM stereo-no sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Default 94 OEM stereo-no sound

So my car was stolen, and they took my Pioneer stereo. Anyways the stock harness was not chopped up when the pioneer was installed so I went and bough a OEM radio and it plugs in perfectly to the stock harness.
I called Honda and got the security code and now it goes on and has the display working, I can set the stations and hear a beep, but I get no other sound out of the radio.
Do you think the old radio is blown or am I missing something?

Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 AM

not so sure... but did you check your antenna?

Old 06-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

did they take your speakers? or disconnect them?

the beep can come from inside the radio.

if it will let you tune stations with a seek function then the antenna is probably ok.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:15 PM

Speakers are there, not sure if they disconnected them. I will check into that, but I thought the beep was from the speaker.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

the beep may be, you'll have to put your ear near a speaker and listen.

did the head unit you bought need a separate factory amp?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 PM

After pulling the radio out I see a sticker on the that reads " this unit will not operate without the CD changer or special plug ( I think that it said special plug ) inserted. Anyone know what plug they mean?

Old 06-17-2010, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

ah, you got the wrong OEM head unit, unfortunately. to use that head unit you'll need to buy the matching CD changer and wire harness - at which point you'll spend more than just buying a simple aftermarket head unit. it is possible you could just get the plug that completes the audio circuit. You can check hondapartsdeals.com and see if they sell that part separately.

my suggestion is to try and return the OEM radio and buy a standard aftermarket Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. for about $100 at any local Best Buy or similar store (not Walmart), or even less if you buy used. Or you can find an OEM radio that doesn't require the CD changer, or find the "special plug".

Old 06-18-2010, 12:35 AM

I found the plug at a local JY, put it in and I heard thump, thump, thump from the speakers, but still no radio tunes.
I just wanted to keep it OEM so I didn't have to cut up the factory harness, but I just might have too.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Administrator
Arrow Hi Val

Let us know when you get it fixed up and what you did...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 06-18-2010, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

you never have to cut up a factory harness. 70-1720 is the Metra harness part number for that vehicle. it allows you to install an aftermarket radio without cutting up the harness. don't cut a harness off.

i think you bought the wrong plug. what is the model number for the radio you have? it should be printed on the radio case.

Quick Reply: 94 OEM stereo-no sound