Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

95 radio in a 93, special cap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM
Default 95 radio in a 93, special cap

I just bought a 93 LX. The seller kept their aftermarket radio. I only want to listen to AM traffic info, so I don't want to spend money on an aftermarket. I have tons of time and little funds right now. LKQ owed me some credit and said the 95 radio they had would plug right in. I plugged in the main connector and the antennae. There is an extra plug outlet on the radio and a sticker that says in order to work, an amp, cd player or special cap must be plugged into it. I have no amp, cd player or special cap. I turn up the volume and start to hear a hiss in the speakers when it gets to about 3/4 and increases slightly on to full. Does anyone know where I can get the special cap? Can I make one by just getting one of those style plugs and connecting certain wires together, and if so, does anyone know which ones and the procedures to to it? By procedures I mean does it require any special diodes to be soldered inline for any of the connections, which connections should never be done, etc.?
I've searched many, many days online without much luck.
I better give some more info so people aren't wondering about other issues.
The radio turns on and the antennae extends. It shows the signal change on known FM stations. The radio unit beeps when saving stations. The cassette tape motor is working the tape and changes direction. Just get the hiss on higher volume. I entered the code when asked and got a beep at end, and did the remove power, reenter code scenario ten times over several days just to be sure that wasn't the problem also.
LKQ (national auto recycler) had one of their tags on radio with vin, serial no and radio code.
So I'm leaning to the lack of a special cap and want one or will try to build one if I can get some direction for it.
Thanks.
Oh, and just a comment on radio codes. Probably 95% of people are going to leave the card in the glovebox after the first time they have to reenter it, if not immediately after they buy it. And many dealers are putting the code on a sticker in known locations. So why bother with something that is such a hassle? I would think that the idiots who steal one without first finding the code in the car, don't know that the radio requires one and are going to steal it anyway. And on the flip side, the ones that know will search for the code first, and find it in all those vehicles. I just can't believe the probably millions of search results just on the code problems that are in the way of my special cap investigation.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Can you ask LKQ to get one of the caps?

When looking at the rear of the radio, is this the round plug on the right side?

Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM

LKQ is completely computerized and doesn't show a listing for it they said.
Yes, it is the 9 pin round outlet for a plug. There is a post on this forum showing what each pin/wire goes to if you want to wire it to something else, but that isn't what I want to do.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:59 PM

If anyone has pdf manuals, instructions, directions, whatever, for this radio, I would appreciate it. I want to try and learn everything there is to know about it, even after I get it working. I'd like to be able to post answers to questions anyone else may have in the future. Links to sites is also appreciated.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

Wish I knew the pins.....but I do not.

I have the service manual but it does not get into the "guts" of the radio.....just shows the plug but does not get into the inputs or outputs of the plug?

If LKQ doesn't have the plug, do they have another radio that still has it? I know the plug was for the CD player option.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 AM

I gave up and bought an aftermarket.
Maybe next summer I'll still try and get it to work and post what I did.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Well, if you figure it out please update....then everyone will know

Thanks for the update...