Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

97 accord - jensen cd/mp3 player

Old 11-10-2006, 06:05 PM
nil
Unregistered
Default 97 accord - jensen cd/mp3 player

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and new to Car Audio field.

Anyways, I bought a Jensen pmp180ucs in-dash am/fm/cd/mp3 player. I was wondering if I can remove original radio that came with my car ( 97 accord ) and use this cd player ?

Don't know how good this unit is, but since I got it wanted to see if it fits

I tried searching on crutchfield but it won't find anything with that. So my question is does it fit into 97 accord ?

If yes, is there any installation guide ?

Thanks for your help in advance.
BTW, great forum ... learning something new.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:15 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: 97 accord - jensen cd/mp3 player

Well welcome to the forum! There are great people here to help out with everything. Dont know much about Jensen but it has to be better than Durabrands crap cd players. Anyways, pretty much all cd players work in all cars. Here is what you need:
-An installation kit (Best Buy for about $25) I bought a Scosche install kit from wal mart and it was crap
-Then you will need a wiring kit which will be about 6-$8. I got a Scosche one from Wal-Mart and its worked out really well.
Just note that everything is application specific so make sure it fits your Accord before buying. After that you are ready to go.

If you are cautious disconnect the battery, then on the bottom of the inside of your armrest there are two screws, and remove those. Then take out your cupholder and remove another two screws. The center console that wraps around the e-brake can now be removed. It may take a little working to get it off. Next, carefull pop the black trim arounf the shifter, radio, and clock (you might have to remove the plugs from the clock and hazard signal to make it easier). Then remove the ashtray. Behing the ashtray is a screw that you will have to remove.
Arg, I dont remember if there are anymore screws, I think there might be two more that you remove at the very end but they are obvious. After everythings unscrewed, slowly pull your stock radio out. It wont come out very far because of the connections, so reach back and unplug the antenna, and then unplug the plug-in in the back of the radio. Then with your wiring adapter, you will wire your Jensens wires to it, and plug it back into the stock Honda wiring harness after you install the cd player installation kit and then just go in reverse order. It really sounds harder than it is. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2006, 12:36 PM

Personally, id reccomend spending the extra dollar to get the alpine, pioneer, something with a little more reputaion. IMO

Old 11-11-2006, 12:47 PM
nil
Unregistered

Thanks 19accord97.

I've removed center console and other parts around it before. so shouldn't be a problem.
I've not yet opened the cd box. I believe it must come with wiring instructions.

I'll give it a try and see how it goes...
Thanks again.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:19 PM

Everyone has their own opinion about stereo stuff.... Personally I think jensen gives you a lot of features for the money and it will sound better than a stock stereo... but I hate them with a passion.... Just my $.02 anyway here's a complete install guide with pictures, I'm sure you'll get it in, let us know how it goes!

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/Accord.html

Old 11-12-2006, 03:38 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Wiring wont be to hard if you have decent soldering skills. On my wiring kit and radio the wires were both color cordinated to each other as most but not all radios are. Just make sure you shrink wrap your solders to prevent short circuiting n such. Good luck