Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

MP3 CD player for 2005 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 01:34 AM
AccordMD
Unregistered
Default MP3 CD player for 2005 Accord?

Hi everyone,

A "newbie" member here. Well, I have a 2005 Accord LX sedan, but I'd like to play MP3 CDs in it (in addition to hopefully hooking up a non-iPod MP3 player through a standard aux jack). I'm not going to remove the factory radio (too expensive), so I'd like to clarify just what my options are.

I know we can by a new headunit and install it in the little storage pocket (right above the "NOT-AN-ASHTRAY"). BUT, I'd also like to at least keep enough power going into the factory radio to keep the clock going also. So I want to know:

1. Is it possible to have 2 functioning radios in the car, as in hooking up the new headunit to the factory OEM and perhaps running it as an AUX device or somesuch? (Perhaps via a 14-pin connector?)

2. Is there any way to mod the OEM radio to decode MP3 CDs?

3. Are there any MP3 CD players on the market that function as a simple AUX device without requiring a new headunit (e.g. AUX-pluggable in the same way as an add-on XM radio, or the add-on Honda OEM cassette decks and MP3 CD players?)

4. If a new headunit is installed, can power be kept flowing to the OEM headunit to at least allow for clock functionality?

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2006, 09:48 AM
styldaccordingly
Unregistered
Default RE: MP3 CD player for 2005 Accord?

this may help ya....

The X3-HON03 vehicle-specific cable from P.I.E. as their latest addition to their X-3 Multi-Source Auxiliary Input Converter system. The X-3 system has been out for a couple of years but the X3-HON03 cable, which fits many of the '03-'05 Honda/Acura vehicles, now makes it possible to have three auxiliary audio inputs and still keep your factory XM working. Then, with the addition of the HON03-F/MM 'Y' cable, the X-3 system will even work if you have the nav option.

Some additional installation notes, the connector you need to disconnect is up in the left side of the radio, not the connector at the rear of the radio. It is difficult to reach and the panels that would seem to make it easier to access are difficult if not impossible to remove. Use a knife to cut away the grey foam metal foil tape, then peel it back which will expose another 12-pin connector. Disconnect this connector and insert the HON03-F/MM 'Y' adaptor. Connect the X3-HON03 cable to one socket on the HON03-F/MM and the factory XM connector to the other socket. Finish the remaining install steps that come with the X-3 and you're good to go. Important Note: Before attempting this installation, actually, before buying the components, be sure your vehicle has the concealed 12-pin connector or this install will not work. If you have a non-navigation equipped vehicle, you can use the HON03-F/MM at the connector at the rear of the radio and not have to use the concealed connector.