Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

'99 Accord EX-L Coupe Questions

Old 08-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Default '99 Accord EX-L Coupe Questions

Surprisingly, the stock audio in this car sounds pretty good, and if I didn't have a sub, amp, and head unit already laying around, I'd probably leave it alone. I've read all the posts in the car audio section, and now have some questions:

1) I was going to get new speakers for the front doors and rear deck. I was going to get some higher end ones, and thouht they would need an amp to power them to get the best sound, but now I'm wondering if an amp is that necessay? And if it is, would there be that much difference between an underpowered nicer speaker a properly powered not as nice speaker? I'm thinking if I don't have to get an amp then that money could be better spent on a nice ipod that I can hook into the car.
2) I want to retain the steering wheel controls, and have seen a device that allows you to do that, but my sony head unit has to have a specific type of remote in order to make sure it works. Anyone know where to look to find the model of remote? Is it just on the underside of the remote?
3) I have installed a complete stereo system before, but I mostly worked on the subwoofer and amp part of it. I don't really remember doing much as far as wiring the interior speakers. How difficult is this? Also, I may end up just getting a shop to install it if I think it's going to not be worth my effort. How much should I expect in labor costs?
4) Any ideas for good locations to mount the sub and amp (or amps if I need another for the speakers)? In my old car, it had a fold-down armrest that opened into the trunk so I mounted the sub so it faced into the cabin, which sounded awesome but 1) took a lot of trunk space, and 2) the accord has a complete fold-down rear seat which I don't want to block with the big tie down holding the sub. I mounted the amp on top of the box, I guess I could do that again, but where to mount the sub so it's out of the way in the trunk and also with what? And I need to know where I could mount another amp if I need to.

Sorry for the long post, thanks for your help!

Old 08-31-2005, 01:35 AM
Default RE: '99 Accord EX-L Coupe Questions

1) getting a 4ch amp is not necessary, in every situation. You don't HAVE to get one. Keep in mind you can always add one later.

2) no comment on the steering wheel controls.... personally i detest them

3) i work at best buy, here is what we charge
head unit: 49.99
speakers (pair): 32.99
amp (2 channel for sub): 54.99
amp (4 channel for interior speakers): 61.99
there is no tax on labor charges

now for the parts:
you'll need an amp kit for the amp... depending on how large the amp is, they start at 90.99 and up
if you plan on adding an amp, go ahead and spring for the dual amp kit....
two sets of speaker harnesses for the speakers in the door and rear, which are 6.49, so 12.98
for the radio you'll need a dash kit and harness, both of these are 18.49 each

Old 08-31-2005, 03:35 AM

so i could get nice interior speakers now and just not use them to their full capacity? they'd still sound ok without the amp? like if say they handle 50rms but their only source of power (the HU) only gave them like 25rms, they'd sound ok?

destest steering wheel controls? lol..seems a little harsh. in the end i may just not worry about it. the adaptor is fairly expensive just to keep 3 buttons working.

ah, best buy. here's the problem with best buy. i actually bought my speakers and sub amp for my old car at best buy. a friend and i were doing the install ourselves, and he was taking too long with the sub part so i went to best buy to see how much it'd be for them to just finish installing the amp and sub. they wouldn't do it because not all my wires were from there. the fuse, fuse housing, and rca cables were fromt here, but the hot, grounding, and the wire that tells the amp when to turn on and off with the car wires were not. the guy said they couldn't install it because they couldn't issue a warranty on an install that didn't use all best buy wires. i even asked if i could just not get the warranty and he said no. i think that's pretty ridiculous. i assume circuit city is the same way but i haven't asked. see, i already have the amp with all the wires running out of it and the sub is wire up into the box and everything, i just dont' want to pull with running the wire from the battery through the wirewall, through that car blah blah blah, and then mounting it all the in trunk. i don't need a kit, just need the wires run and the sub and amp mounted. if the dude at best buy was mistaken, by all means let me know, but that's what he said.

thanks for your help.

Old 08-31-2005, 02:26 PM

he's not mistaken.... sadly

it is a dumb rule but it does make sense. we warranty EVERYTHING we do.... so the only way we can ensure properly performing power/ ground/ and signal is to sell you what we KNOW works.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:25 PM

Utilizing an amp for the speakers in your car is more of a luxury. They will sound better simply because the more power you have behind a pseaker the better it will sound. And the louder it will get not to mention. Youre right on that topic. I would do it, why not?

Old 09-02-2005, 04:13 PM

mostly just didn't want to spend the money and time if it wasn't going to make that much of a difference. i still don't want to wire them to an amp...i'll just ask for my for my bday or something ha ha. just put in the head unit last night, will be putting in the speakers w/o amp for now this weekend. we'll see how they sound.

Old 10-10-2005, 03:01 PM

How does it sound?

Old 12-30-2005, 08:56 PM

Sorry, been away for awhile. From what I remember, the stock speakers didn't sound a whole lot different with just a new head unit, little cleaner though. I installed 6.5" Polk Coaxials in front and 6"x9" Polk Coaxials in rear. It sounded great at first, but they've lost their appeal now. I also install my JL Audio 12" sub and Pioneer 760w amp from my old setup. Everyone that rides with me admires the system, but it's lost its magic to me.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:43 PM

Get an amp to go to the mids and highs. You will hear a big difference. How much clean and clear it sounds. It also depends on the type of amp you want. On a amp for mids and highs you dont need to go the expensive route. You will get a lot out of an amp than you will out of your deck. Do u know how 2 hook the interior speakers to an amp besides running it from every individual speaker?

Old 01-07-2006, 03:42 AM

I planned on wiring the speakers to an amp and then using the rca cables from head unit to amp if I went the amp route. Did you have something else in mind?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '99 Accord EX-L Coupe Questions