Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Accord Fiberglass Stealth Sub Box Project

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:50 AM
Default Accord Fiberglass Stealth Sub Box Project

Im new to this forum but not to Hondas or speakers. I love this 1999 Accord but always wished it had a sub woofer. I also love having a big trunk as this is a family vehicle. So I decided to make a stealth sun woofer box out of fiberglass that sits completely out of the way. I made a mold so I can make more if anyone wants one. This goes in the left rear corner where the factory storage area is. It holds a single 10 inch sub woofer,a 10" sub is just right for the available space. Also when the trunk is closed the trunk hinge is right in front of the box helping to hold it in place.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_0802.jpg   Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_0803.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 01:54 AM

Here is a view of the back of the box. The back is finished in grey gelcoat and the front is a MDF panel thats covered in black textured vinyl. The speaker terminal cup in facing the front of the car and is a high quality terminal with gold plated connectors. I also use velcro on the back of the box,only putting the hook side on the box. The carpet works great as the fuzzy side and holds the box in place really well. The way I molded the box it sits in place really well on its own,the velcro was just added insurance.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_0818_2.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 01:56 AM

My accord is a 1999 6th generation. This will fit 1998 to 2002 accords. The only thing I dont know is if the 2 and 4 door models have the same trunk design,I imagine they do. Here is a shot of it out of the car.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_0824.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 01:59 AM

I should mention that there is no installation really. You simply lift up on this storage panel cover and it easily lifts out of place. Then the sub goes in that space. It sits nice and compact in the corner with a internal volume of 1.2 cubic feet. Since these are made with a mold they are very strong. I use mat not cloth because its stronger. Making fiberglass parts from molds is a lot better than adding puffy dacron sheeting to a wooden box and slopping on resin. This box is lighter than that and just as strong.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_0802.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 02:06 AM

Here is the left rear corner when you lift out the storage area lid. You do end up losing that corner storage pocket but its not really big enough to be of much use anyways,everything involves some sort of compromise I guess.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_0814.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 02:08 AM

Here is another angle of the back of the box,you can see how its molded to fit in that corner perfectly.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_0819.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 02:14 AM

Another angle of it in the car showing how out of the way it is. Also a picture of the car itself.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_0812.jpg   Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_0811.jpg  
Old 07-18-2009, 02:20 AM

Couple more shots of the box. Trying to show all angles to everyone can understand how and where it fits. I am thinking of building a couple and posting them on ebay. If anyones wants one they can message me here or email me here or respond to this thread,I get instant email notification. Also my direct email is Azenis29@aol.com. It would be nice to know if anyone wants one so I can decide on how many to build. They do take a good amount of time to make. Im thinking of selling them for 190.0 on ebay or 180.00 direct,save a bit on ebay listing fees.

Attached Thumbnails Accord Fiberglass Stealth  Sub Box Project-100_0820.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 11:31 AM

Im going to list a accord box on ebay today and drop the price as much as I can. I will post a link to the ebay auction here as soon as I can.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Two things, first I would make sure the box does not sing before selling it, especially since you made it with mat. It is very likely this box will sing. When making a glass box you must make it as light and rigid as possible to keep the resonance up. Mat is not as stiff and will keep the resonance down and likely in the range of the sub.

Second what the hell is with the mat is stronger than cloth comment? Mat is in no way stronger than cloth... Yes mat should be laid down first so you can make nice corners, and keep the cloth from imprinting the gelcoat, but mat is weak and more prone to flexing, even if you used epoxy resin.

It still looks nice, and actually you've got me thinking about doing the same since you squeezed a whole 1.2 cubes in there. But you really should look into laying it up with some 6oz cloth on your next box, and use as little mat as possible. You can find some great deals on cloth on ebay. May not be the greatest stuff, but your not building a hull so I think you'll be fine. If the box still sings, your going to have to add a lot of deadening to bring the mass up so you can bring the resonance down. Building a glass box can be very tricky, and if done wrong can sound really bad.

Last edited by t00fatt; 07-19-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Accord Fiberglass Stealth Sub Box Project