Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Added Keyless Entry to my '98 LX

Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Default Added Keyless Entry to my '98 LX

I purchased the kit here:

College Hills Honda Accessory Catalog: Keyless Entry System (Attachment Included)

Although when I purchased it a few weeks ago, the remote trunk unlock was half the price, and the basic kit was about $10 cheaper.

Some comments:

1) The interior comes apart pretty easily

2) The kit itself consists of 2 key fobs, a radio receiver, a complex wiring harness, a sub-harness, some bolts, some wire ties, and end-user instructions

3) The instructions themselves are downloaded from the site, they are decent, although you need to read each step carefully

4) This ties into your entire wiring harness in the car, you do significant tie-ins in the left side (driver) and lesser tie-ins with the right hand fuse box. As you have the wiring harness around the fuse boxes all detached you will for a brief instant think "what did I get myself into...."

5) The kit is fussy, but the result is basically a factory-quality installation. When you lock/unlock the lights flash. One push of unlock is for the driver, two opens all, it has a panic button (who uses those?), it will not let you lock unless all the doors are closed.

6) The LX for '98 has no anti-theft codes for the radio

7) College Hills Honda was excellent to deal with. When the kit first arrived, the trunk unlock was missing a relay and a bolt. They apologized and got replacements to me within a few days.

Overall, it went fine. I noticed one small quirk, when I unlocked with the key fob once and then got in and played around, the car wouldn't start until I used the fob to lock it. However, I couldn't duplicate it and wondered if I accidentally got into a programming mode.

A bit expensive ($200), but I think it works great, so no complaints.

I took a bunch of pictures, but I haven't pulled them from the camera yet.