Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Adding amp/sub/component speakers to stock head unit questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 06:13 PM
Default Adding amp/sub/component speakers to stock head unit questions...

2016 Sport

Does the stock head unit provide a clean enough signal to do so?

Does the stock alternator provide enough power to add one or even two more amps to the system?

I'm very very new to this car so any input or suggestions to where I can find answers are great.

Thanks for accepting me into the honda community.

Matt

Old 10-19-2015, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome!

I have a 2014 Sport. There are very few differences between yours and mine. You can see my build log (it's long) for what i've done. I have a competition-worthy build for SQ and will compete in IASCA next year (along with judging events). I used stock speaker locations (but extensively treated the vehicle).

I have done extensive testing on the stock head unit. i even bypass the internal stock amp to provide RCA outputs (that allow for full volume range without distortion).

I've also done testing on the stock alternator - which has CANBus control and cannot be replaced. I'm looking to bypass the ELD and force voltage up to 14.4VDC. It currently regulates 12.5VDC under most conditions (headlights cause a jump to 14.4VDC as does regenerative braking).

Check out my build log, then hit me up with specific questions. I have a ton of disassembly photos as well.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:57 AM

Check out Cruchtfield.com a good source for fitment. 1st I would suggest a bigger battery. 2nd I would suggest a base package, sub woofer 10 or 12 inch with its own amplifier. 3rd is replace all interior speakers with its own 4 channel amp. 4th step, replace head unit. Simply stated Honda parts are not up to par for a good audio system, these upgrades can be done separately or all at once to save on installation cost. Good luck.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

replacing the head unit is expensive and problematic. the Metra kit is $400 and works poorly. the new head units are integrated and should stay in place. this sucks because the active noise cancelling system causes bass roll-off that isn't defeatable with the base unit (non-touch screen).

Honda put more effort into a quiet ride then they did a rocking sound system.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
replacing the head unit is expensive and problematic. the Metra kit is $400 and works poorly. the new head units are integrated and should stay in place. this sucks because the active noise cancelling system causes bass roll-off that isn't defeatable with the base unit (non-touch screen).

Honda put more effort into a quiet ride then they did a rocking sound system.
Yes I'm planning on leaving the stock unit in place as I don't need a competition system, however, you are saying that the active noise cancelling system is currently not able to be disconnected ?

I understand that this system produces a pronounced "boom" through the speakers upon start up, is that true?

And yes I have the non-touch screen unit that comes in the sport models.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mattc941
Yes I'm planning on leaving the stock unit in place as I don't need a competition system, however, you are saying that the active noise cancelling system is currently not able to be disconnected ?

I understand that this system produces a pronounced "boom" through the speakers upon start up, is that true?

And yes I have the non-touch screen unit that comes in the sport models.
just disconnect the ANC mics to resolve any feedback problems. No "boom" on startup if properly installed with good equipment. mine is silent and noise-free.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 AM

Great thanks so much! Do you mind if I message you directly if other specific questions?

Old 10-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mattc941
Great thanks so much! Do you mind if I message you directly if other specific questions?
that is fine, i can also share my phone number if a discussion proves more useful.