Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Aftermarket sub amp to factory radio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
s10xtremist
Unregistered
Default Aftermarket sub amp to factory radio?

I have an '09 Coupe, V6/M6. I want to add a single 12, but be able to adjust the amp with the sub control in the factory radio. I figured all I would need to do is find the input wires to the factory sub amp and connect them to my aftermarket sub amp.

Is it really this simple, or is there something I don't know?
Where is the factory sub amp located, and where can I find a wire diagram for it?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I really wouldn't use that sub signal, god knows what kind of EQ it has and what it's crossed at. If you do that you will be stuck with what ever that sub is crossed at. Just run the LOC off the rear speakers, and use the bass boost **** with the amp. If you plan on keeping the stock HU and setting up a quality system look into the JL Cleansweep.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 PM

RF 360.1 seems to be a better fit here than the CleanSweep. I think MTX makes a sub module for a stock HU as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 PM

Yeah I'm not at all familiar with those others, I only know about the cleansweep. I guess I should look into those.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:47 PM
s10xtremist
Unregistered

Originally Posted by t00fatt
I really wouldn't use that sub signal, god knows what kind of EQ it has and what it's crossed at. If you do that you will be stuck with what ever that sub is crossed at. Just run the LOC off the rear speakers, and use the bass boost **** with the amp. If you plan on keeping the stock HU and setting up a quality system look into the JL Cleansweep.
I never even thought about the factory crossover. That could really mess things up. Although, if the frequency range is wide enough, I could use the amp's crossover to filter it. It's probably not worth messing with, though. I'll look into the Cleansweep, 360.1, and whatever MTX may have. Thanks guys!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:03 PM

curious, a little random but the JL Cleansweep. Does it work with any stock headunit? say even a 2008 Lexus ES with the navigation and the rear view camera?

Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 PM

It can be used with any stereo system with speaker outputs, so yes ANY car. CLICK HERE for more info on the cleansweep. I would look into the other Aaron mentioned as they may be a bit cheaper and just as good. This is the only one I know about and have absolutely no experience with.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:08 PM
gujusolja516
Unregistered

dont listen to any of the above posts, i have a 2008 honda accord coupe with premium audio likes urs, i went through alot of problems when i installed my single 12 in my trunk. the people didnt want to connect it to the factory sub input cuz of the eq, so they did a LOC on the rear deck speakers, but honda has dis messed up thing to where everytime u accelerate, its sends messed up signals to ur aftermarket speakers. this is only a problem on premium audio honda and not the regular ones. so the people at circuit city called honda when i told them that my subwoofer would go off everytime i accelerated even though the deck was off, so instead the did a LOC on the factory subwoofer. to find the wires, u dont need a diagram, open ur trunk, and in the roof in the back u will see ur subwoofer, and two speakers as well, and u can just disconnect the wire and splice it and then rewire it back into ur factory sub. this still will not sound as good as with a jlaudio cleansweep or mtx re-q5

Old 04-24-2009, 10:34 PM

^^ Grammar and punctuation really help people respect what you have to say. From what you are saying your problem only happened with the HU off, right? If so, then I personally think you made a mistake. God knows what kind of EQ they have on the sub line, and if it is crossed too low your stuck with that. Giving up your ability to properly set your sub so it doesn't make noise when the HU is off is not what I would call a good compromise... Until you get rid of the stock HU, everything is just a band aid fix for a bad system.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by gujusolja516
dont listen to any of the above posts, i have a 2008 honda accord coupe with premium audio likes urs, i went through alot of problems when i installed my single 12 in my trunk. the people didnt want to connect it to the factory sub input cuz of the eq, so they did a LOC on the rear deck speakers, but honda has dis messed up thing to where everytime u accelerate, its sends messed up signals to ur aftermarket speakers. this is only a problem on premium audio honda and not the regular ones. so the people at circuit city called honda when i told them that my subwoofer would go off everytime i accelerated even though the deck was off, so instead the did a LOC on the factory subwoofer. to find the wires, u dont need a diagram, open ur trunk, and in the roof in the back u will see ur subwoofer, and two speakers as well, and u can just disconnect the wire and splice it and then rewire it back into ur factory sub. this still will not sound as good as with a jlaudio cleansweep or mtx re-q5
1. what the ?
2. i call bull **** people that worked at circuit city would never and have never called anyone for anything, thats why they "worked" at circuit city

Quick Reply: Aftermarket sub amp to factory radio?