Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Which alarm is better?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 02:09 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Which alarm is better?

HeyGuys,
I hope I have posted this in the right forum. I have a 1997 Honda Accord w/ subwoofers and a few other visual mods. I was wondering which car alarm is better. (I am on a $240ish budget ). At Circuit City there is a Python car alarm for $199 w/installation and Best Buy there is a Viper alarm for $238 installed. Both have keyless entry. I was wondering which is better and do you know if there is any starter prevention feature? Also, does one store offer a better free warranty? Thanks for your time!

Old 03-08-2006, 12:35 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Which alarm is better?

Hello again,
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions! thnx

Old 03-14-2006, 01:02 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well I just bought a Viper alarm and it will be installed Sunday :-)

Old 03-21-2006, 12:39 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well the alarm was installed Sunday! Its the 350 Viper alarm model. It works great as does the keyless entry. But I think i'm going to take it back in to get the sensitvity turned up. I recommend this alarm! $245 at Best Buy w/ installation

Old 03-21-2006, 01:50 AM

hey i'm a senior installer at best buy... sorry i didn't see your post earlier. The alarm you got is a very nice one. The range is superb. It's one of our more popular alarms... I like them alot. And thanks for choosing best buy. Hope you are happy with the service

Old 03-22-2006, 07:00 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Hey TheyCallMeRickJames,
Its good to know its a good quality one! Thanks! I also had a question for you. Does Best Buy charge you anything to get the sensitivity of the alarm turned up? You have to hit the car pretty hard for it to make the warning chirp. I was hitting the top of the car and when I hit the door it didnt do anything. So are there any sensors in the door? Thanks!

Old 05-05-2006, 02:57 AM

Hey 19Accord97,

I am also an installer at best buy, MECP Certified, the whole 9 yards....Judging by the name i assume you drive a 97 accord and what a coincidence, i do as well. I consider this vehicle to be one of the easiest ones out there to anything audio/video/alarm,etc....but to get to your questions, there is a lifetime warranty on the install on your alarm or any installation performed by best buy on your vehicle as long as you own it. you just have to bring in the install receipts to verify it. There is no charge to adjust the sensitivity on the alarm, but one of the drawbacks with the 350 is there is no external shock sensor. It is built in to the brain of the alarm, so sometimes it is not possible to place the brain on metal or the frame, so it is placed on a thick wiring harness. There are no sensors in the doors, the door triggers are hooked up so if the door is opened it will go off. One suggestion i would make would be to add on an additional motion sensor. This will cause your alarm to warn when it senses movement around the exterior of the vehicle and will trigger the alarm lets say if your windows are rolled down and someone reaches inside to grab something. I know this is a really late post but just wanted to give my input...ooo and whether you would have gone with the viper or the python, they are the same thing. Directed Electronics makes both of these alarms plus many other major name brands.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:46 PM

hey bro yeah my car looks clean too so i HAD TO buy another BETTER alarm, i got it at circuit city, its a python model 700 with starter kill all for all its was like 260, about the sensivity u should check your manual it tells you how to adjust it to maximum level, i did it to mine within 5 mins, it takes a few times because it gets confusing, its a good alarm it always beeps me when someone tampered with my car and i go outside, and no one as always they run like girls, but yeah bro im considering that external motion sensor tomorrow i will take a trip to circuit city, all in all its worth it.
oh yeah and its a really loud alarm to scare off the clowns.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:30 PM

if anything, u think i could find coupons for best buy or circuit city?
seems like best buy is like blue, CRIPS
and circuit city RED, BLOODZ

well any way.... how long do these viper, hornets, phytons last?
like 2 yeaers?

Old 05-05-2006, 08:52 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Well thanks for the replies guys! I havent checked this post in quite some time so yea! Well that stink about the exernal sensors...the guy at Best Buy said that if someone hit it then it would go off so thats a kind of a disappointment. Oh well... Anyways, once I get more money im getting it adjusted to be more sensitive and also adding the sensors to the trunk and hood for about $30 each. Thanks again!