Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp help on 2010 Accord with Nav

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:32 PM
Default Amp help on 2010 Accord with Nav

Hey guys, like I said I have a 10 accord v6 with the factory nav and upgraded stereo system. I've installed aftermarket amps many times but never with a factory head unit.

I have the inline input for the rca's ran from the factory sub thinking that I can use the factory sub level controls in doing this.

Problem is, when I connect the aftermarket sub to the aftermarket amp I have a constant bass stream, or a constant rumble. Not music.

Only thing I can figure is the placement of the inline thing or maybe a ground. It was a pain finding a good place for the ground. Was hoping not to have to pull out the factory unit.

Any help would be great

Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 PM

so the factory sub has a pair of output rca's? and youre running your rca's from the factory sub to the aftermarket amp?

Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

no, he's using the factory sub speaker wires as a high level input for the amp.

what amp make/model? sub make/model/voice coil?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:25 PM

amps usually cant handle there inputs above 6 volts.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 PM

Actually figured it out. Seems whenever the aftermarket sub would get under the factory sub, it caused the sub to do whatever it was doing. Sorta like when you put two microphones close together.

Unhooked the factory sub, and no problem. Not sure the cause of this, but it works for now. Would like to have the factory sub working as a mid so any ideas would be appreciated

Old 09-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by troycifer
amps usually cant handle there inputs above 6 volts.
that's why many amps have high level inputs separate from RCA inputs so you can feed them a signal directly from head unit outputs. The JL amps also have an auto turn-on with the high level inputs so you don't need a remote turn-on when adding on to factory systems.

my amps have 9V unbalanced and 18V balanced inputs.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 09-15-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by amjackson
Actually figured it out. Seems whenever the aftermarket sub would get under the factory sub, it caused the sub to do whatever it was doing. Sorta like when you put two microphones close together.

Unhooked the factory sub, and no problem. Not sure the cause of this, but it works for now. Would like to have the factory sub working as a mid so any ideas would be appreciated
sounds like the new sub was moving the cone on the factory sub which caused a signal on the speaker wires (magnetic induction) - so yea - feedback. i assumed you disconnected the factory sub first.

you'll need to build an enclosure around the factory sub to still use it. your best bet is to remove it and let more bass out of the trunk through the opening. your front and rear speakers should provide midrange.