Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Amp screwed into backseat coming loose

Old 05-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Amp screwed into backseat coming loose

I have a 2009 Accord and I noticed last week that one of the four screws securing my amp to my back seat was almost completely out and the other three were loose. I tightened them the best I can but they just keep turning so they will most likely come loose again. What's my best option here? They just look like black sheet rock screws. Is there a better screw to use (maybe one with an anchor)? also can I re-use the existing holes or should I move it over a few inches and drill new ones?

Old 05-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pstoric
I have a 2009 Accord and I noticed last week that one of the four screws securing my amp to my back seat was almost completely out and the other three were loose. I tightened them the best I can but they just keep turning so they will most likely come loose again. What's my best option here? They just look like black sheet rock screws. Is there a better screw to use (maybe one with an anchor)? also can I re-use the existing holes or should I move it over a few inches and drill new ones?
sorry for the delay.

your screws are only into carpet, not metal.

i recommend putting the amp on a wood board that is carpeted or painted to match the car. screw the amp to the seat with a self-tapping sheet metal screw so it drills into the rear seat metal. then the amp can easily screw to the board.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Not correct as there is metal behind the carpet.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator

right... but i commonly find screws are not into metal, just carpet. did you properly size and pre-drill the holes to ensure the screws would grab? did you use a sheet metal screw and not a drywall screw?

if the screw only gripped carpet, that's why they keep turning. that's why i mention a self-tapping screw.

if you stripped out the hole, move up a screw size. if the larger screw size doesn't fit in the amp mounting feet then put the amp on a board and screw the board to the seat.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The screws definitely go into the metal behind the carpet. The amp and sub were installed by the audio shop nearby years ago. I'll use bigger screws and move it over and inch or two. Thanks.