Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

audio format for 2001 Honda LX CD player

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:27 PM
subarao
Unregistered
Default audio format for 2001 Honda LX CD player

Hii everybody,
being a newbie, I really really would like to seek help from any of you pro guys. Recently I bought a 2001 Honda Accord LX sedan which has a CD player. To much of my frustration it does not play MP3 format. So do anybody have any idea, what are the song format (like .wav or wma. and so on so on....) it can play. and what I have to do if I want it to convert to mp3 player.
thanks a ton guys
subba rao

Old 02-17-2007, 09:11 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: audio format for 2001 Honda LX CD player

Hello there! I do not know the format it can play right off hand, but I would recommend looking into a program that converts mp3 files into wma. or something like that. Some of the programs are free, but most you have to pay for. You could also just get an aftermarket headunit that plays mp3's.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:29 PM

If it wont play MP3's then it probably wont play any other form of media. The CD player may have an auxillary intput you can use for an Ipod or the like but Im not sure. You may just have to get an aftermarket HU installed.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 PM
subarao
Unregistered

Hi MacLeod and 19accord97,
first of all I would like to thank you a lot for your reply.
Can you please suggest me how much it will cost to install HU and where I can find one cheapest and reliable one?
thanks

Old 02-18-2007, 01:14 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Your welcome for the help!

Lets see here...the aftermarket headunit is basically and endless world. Considering you want the cheapest, some of the cheaper brands are junk such as Durabrand (awful personal experience) and JVC. It really is up to you. I would simply either look online or go to a store, come home, and do some searching to see the quality. Never go with the no-name brands on eBay such as Pyramid or others.

First though, I need to know a couple of things. Are you planning on ever adding subwoofers? And do you have an mp3 player that you want to listen through the radio? And do you have a flash drive that yuo want to listen to? Radios have lots of cool extra gadgets, and we need to know this first. Mine has an AUX input that I plug my mp3 in every once n' awhile. My radio was on clearance for only $74 dollars, and yet it has proved very reliable and has alot of features that more expensive radios have.

Here are a few that might interest you.

Has SD/USB/AUX input for cheap. Not familair with the brand though
http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/prod...ductID=4744710

http://walmart.scosche-cars.com/prod...em+Description

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1166840602151

There are alot more, just make sure it says its mp3 compatible.

Dont forget, that when you buy a radio you will need a wiring harness (Scosche $10 Wal-Mart) and an installation kit (Best Buy $20). Never get an installation kit from wal-mart, ONLY get them from best buy as they are the easiest and best quality and are the same prices as other places.

Lastly, installation of a stero is pretty easy. I am not to sure about the exact process on your year of Accord though. Do you know how to solder by chance?

Old 02-21-2007, 02:22 AM
subarao
Unregistered

thanks 19Accord97 for your help.
Actually I am bit ignorant regarding the audio system in car.
I am ready to put upto 300 dollars for a good sound system. But donot have much idea regarding soldering and installation.
But I have a CD player already attached on my dashboard and is only playing .cda (media file format).
So could you please explain me which system will be easy to install or if I can install any accessories that can play mp3 to my existing CD player?

thanks a lot
subarao