Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Best Speakers w/ Easiest Install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Default RE: Best Speakers w/ Easiest Install?

i dont really know about the speakers in the doors firing to the center console but i have heard that the tweeters firing up to the windshield amplifies the sound. i really dont know anything about it myself thats what ive heard. the headunit is pretty inconvenient for us who want to customize it but for the others who buy the car as a family car i think its quite nice and it looks nice.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:12 PM

Actually tweeters firing into the windshield attenuates the sound. Since the waves are firing into the glass and bouncing all over, you never hear a direct wave so you have to have much more juice to get the same volume.

Think of it like water. Would you get wetter if you were sprayed directly from a hose or if I sprayed a wall you were standing by?

Not to mentionthe scattering of the way can cause all kinds of havoc with imgaing and some tonality.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

haha...cattywhompus. i hvae never seen that written anywhere.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:33 PM

LOL! Got that from my old Grandpappy.

Things really got bad when they were honkerjawed. [sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 AM

I don't think that the windshield actually attenuates or amplifies the tweeter. It does scatter the signal and make the sound tinny. Glass is not porous and therefore cannot attenuate sound within the cabin. It also does not have the geometry to amplify. Basically, the scattering of the sound allows mostly the shrill extreme highs to reach your ear since they are not really affected as much as the lower highs.

MacLeod: I have 6.5" components (custom install, aka - silicone and a soldering iron). Should I try switching the main lead or just the woofer?

Old 09-06-2007, 11:12 AM

The frequencies the tweeters play are extremely directional and the off axis response is going to be quite a bit lower than the on axis response. Because of this, firing the tweeters into the windshield doesnt reduce the output of the tweeters but does reduce the output that YOU hear because the wave is scattered from bouncing off the glass and youll get some cancellation as well from waves bouncing into each other.

Try a test. Pull the tweeters out of the dash and fire them back towards the rear of the car and youll notice they are very much louder than they were.

As for which leads to switch, try just the midrange first. See how that sounds and then swap the tweeter's lead and see how that works. There is no set way - its too dependant on the speakers, car interior and so on.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:20 AM

Ok .... I'll try that

btw, I didn't mean to try to correct or oppose what you were saying. In fact, I think that we are talking about the same outcome but are approaching it from different angles. Me - material effect You - wave effect Both - scattered signal

Again, I didn't mean any offense in case my comment was received differently than what I meant.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:30 PM

No worries.

Im married. Im used to being corrected all the time.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:35 PM

Hello all, Does anyone knows how to install the Polk Audio db 690's in the rear. I have just brought them and install them already.But without plugging it on, cause the factory speakers has a white clip that connects to a another white clip holder that I think that it goes to the radio? The Polk speakers does not have that clip but only 2 metal + & - like any other speakers. What can I do to connect my new speakers? Thanks for any kind of help. I hope I am making sense on my issue.
BTW I have a 07 accord ex-l if that helps.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:41 PM

Take some wire strippers and strip off some bare wire behind the white plastic plug. Splice or solder some speaker wire onto them and then connect them via terminal ends to the Polks.

The best way would be to buy some of these for $12. This way you can just slap them in there without any cutting and when youre done with the car or speakers you can take em back out just as easy.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MDGhM3D...amp;I=12071012

Quick Reply: Best Speakers w/ Easiest Install?