Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

The big 3 and trunk rattles

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Default The big 3 and trunk rattles

I've been having a system (which you guys helped me design) in my 04 Honda Accord for a little over a year now and I love it. The only problemis that I'm having voltage spikes and my trunk rattles like crazy. I understand I should most likely get a H.O alternator, but as of right now I'm just trying to use my accord's stock alternator. I read around and realized that doing the big 3 on a car with a system is pretty much essential, and I don't have mine done. I chose to add 0 gauge wire on top of the factory wire. I'm going to use Knu Koncept's 0 gauge collosus wire which states it can withstand high temperatures, so I'm wondering if I can skip putting a wire loom over the wire. Also, would I need to remove anything to get to the wire for the Alternator to Pos terminal?

As for my trunk rattles; I already have a single layer of raamaudio deadener on my trunk lid and some small spots within the trunk. I plan on buying either 14sq ft of 100mill Knu Concept Deadener or 18.75 sq ft of raamaudio 60 mill deadener to cover the rest of the trunk. Which would be a better choice? and would adding more deadener fix the trunk rattles? The rattle seems to be muffled a lot when I press down on my trunk lid. I also believe a lot of the rattles are coming from the taillight but I have no clue on how to get in there to stop it from rattling. Are there any spots which you guys have found to rattle alot and were easy fixes?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Senior Member Stereo Guru..Almost A Mod :)

unless you seal your box off to your cab, you are not getting rid of the trunk rattle.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

that rattle is usually fixed by simply wrapping some electrical tape around the loop where the latch strikes. what you're hearing is the latch rattling against the loop (evidenced by the rattle going away with pressure there).

you'll have to replace the electrical tape after it wears through in a few months, but it's the best solution i've found.

for the big 3, the alt wire does need to be fused at the battery, so you'll have to add another fuse holder. we have a sticky with pics. i always loom every wire so it looks factory and is further protected from wear (vibration). you do not want that insulation wearing through.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:44 PM

@neophyte, I find it hard to believe that I can not get rid of the trunk rattles, or at least make them a little more bearable.

and @keep_hope_alive, I'm going to try the electrical tape..I'll let you know how it goes

When I was checking out the wiring for the big 3, I noticed a small problem. The wire from the alternator to the pos terminal goes under the manifold rather than around. I attached a picture. Is it possible for me to attach the wire and make it go around the manifold, in front of the radiator. and is the stock negative ground fine? (in attached pictures). Also where would I go from the block to the ground?

Attached Thumbnails The big 3 and trunk rattles-img_2530.jpg   The big 3 and trunk rattles-img_2531.jpg   The big 3 and trunk rattles-img_2533.jpg   The big 3 and trunk rattles-img_2534.jpg   The big 3 and trunk rattles-img_2535.jpg  

Old 03-20-2013, 12:57 PM

and the tape around the trunk latch loop helped tremendously! it muffled out the rattle a lot, but I still have some rattles coming from what seems like the taillights. Is there are fixes for that?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...g-32622/page6/
this thread includes pics of the big 3 and how to route the wire separately. yes, i route above the fan shroud.

elec tape is an old school trick that has always worked.
you'll shake the hell out of everything with enough energy. you can remove the tail lights and use weatherstripping foam to isolate them from the metal. weatherstripping foam can also be used on the back of the license plate, third brake light, and trim panels.