Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Bluetooh problems with Pandora

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Default Bluetooh problems with Pandora

Ok, I will start with the typical rant: Why in God's name do they make these systems so complicated "for my convenience" as to make them unworkable? Simple is better people. I know they pay engineers for the software to run these things and the engineers have to show something for their paycheck, but a simple connection is best.

Ok, now for the specific problem. I cannot usually get Pandora to work with my bluetooth. I will have bluetooth connected and Pandora on my phone (the screen takes over saying another accessory has control so I cannot do anything with Pandora via the phone) and I choose the Pandora option under "Source" and it says "cannot connect, make sure bluetooth is connected and try again".

Calls work fine and choosing "bluetooth source" for playing music works fine. Can't play Pandora through Bluetooth source because, of course, there is a Pandora source "for my convenience". Ugh.

I can disconnect my bluetooth and use the Aux input to run Pandora, but then I lose my hands free calling, not to mention the wires all over. Part of the joy of wireless is NO WIRES.

Why, why, why bother Honda? You make it worse by trying to look cool.

So next issue, in the 20% of times trying to connect, I am able to use Pandora, however in one instance it will completely fail, causing me the only option but to pull over and kill the engine and restart. That happens when I listen to comedy on Pandora and Daniel Tosh comes on. I am not kidding. It happens EVERY time (I hear Dan's voice and one second later I think, uh oh, but by then it is too late). I assume there is something in the software that loads a commercial or something with Dan and that is what causes it. I don't even really like Dan, I could skip him completely, but regardless of what type comedy channel I create, at some point, because he is popular, he comes on.

I know it sounds crazy, but it is true, I wish I had a video to show it. Only Dan and every time with Dan. He must be the devil. I have had the car for a year and a half (2013 Accord no Navigation) and it happens about once a week. Sometimes more. When it happens, I hook my phone up to USB and play music or listen to the radio...

Pandora claims there is a problem with the connection, my phone says Pandora is controlled by my car (thus properly connected). I turn off bluetooth on my phone but the car refuses to show it was disconnected. I cannot reconnect now (because the car thinks it is connected already...even with my phone turned off!) . Bluetooth is now dead on my stereo for ANY reason until I kill the engine.

This is such a screw up in my mind had I known before, I would not have purchased this car. All I want is to use Pandora through the standard bluetooth source....why can't I? Why oh why? Pandora as a separate source? Stupid.

Anyone else have this problem? Any way to listen to Pandora without using that source?

Last edited by Elahrairah; 08-12-2014 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

on my 2014 Sport i can reliably pair the phone and run Pandora on my Droid Razr Maxx. it's pretty handy. it works 90% of the time and when it doesn't it's because my phone is too busy running background apps.

the problem isn't just a Honda problem (Pioneer makes their radios) but with aftermarket head units as well. My wife has issues with the Alpine CDE-HD149BT and her Samsung S3 - but not often and she just has to unpair and repair. It usually happens after my phone tries to pair with the same head unit. Usually, the problem lies in the phone and not the head unit. Pandora freezes at home on my Roku as well - but only one of the Roku units and not both. Weird, i know.

There is apparently slight differences between the 2013 and 2014 models. Maybe go to the dealer and see if you can get the problem to happen in another car.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:49 PM
Default Daniel Tosh

oMg ! my car does the same thing every time Daniel Tosh comes on pandora! I have the 2014 accord coupe! it wasn't always like that, 3-4 months ago it started ! the Bluetooth is so flaky and inconsistent in general with this car. pretty disappointing. I almost always end up connecting via usb

Old 07-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

BT antenna is on top of the radio. try setting your phone on the shelf above the radio and see if that helps consistency. overall, i'm pretty disappointed with the job Pioneer did with this HU. Granted, i'm disappointed with Pioneer in general.