Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Car Security??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Default RE: Car Security??

ORIGINAL: smaglik

the best security is comprehensive coverage with a low deductible.
Haha! x2. But you need to read your policy. Some policies do not cover aftermarket radios or electronic devices in the car. Also some policies do not cover anything else that may have been of value in the car.
Or get a trunkmonkey: http://www.trunkmonkey. content/blogcategory/7/49/

Old 07-03-2007, 03:32 PM

^x2 trunk monkey rocks! If only they made a trunk wife.... *j/k* that one would get me beat if she read it...

Old 07-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

very true. when I added the avic to my m3, i called geico to add the extra value to the policy. i hear they are real sticklers for that, including tint.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:18 AM

Yes I do have wheelocks on my car. And you said that the Viper 791XV comes with a killswitch? I don't see any switches like that around. Where do they normally put that switch? If I do find it I can just flick it off and there goes all my electrical power? What powers my alarm then?

Also, I don't see any wires running from my battery after they installed the Viper, does that mean that the Viper has a separate battery that charges it? If so, do you know where they would have put it? I don't see it anywhere.

I just purchased one of the Mini Pienzo sirens, looks cool. It'll be a pain to test it if it really kills your ears.

What are some brands for those tilt sensors you were talking about?

Old 07-04-2007, 01:46 AM

do you live in a**POOPY** part of town? I havent even thought of investing in an alarm in the last 10 years.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:05 AM

you really cant prevent gettin your car broken into unless you put in like bulletproof glass or sumtin but the ravelco security is supposedly proven to be virtually impossible to bypass and get your car stolen
http://www.ravelco.

and whats with the trunk monkey??

Old 07-04-2007, 08:54 AM

the kill switch looks like a toggle switch. and the reason you cant see anything they installed is because your not supposed to. if you could easily find it, then so could any seasoned criminal.i think directed electronics has a tilt switch, but if the person tries it and the alarm goes off and their smart they'll just get a buddy and jack the whole car up at once. and just one thought about testing the siren... earplugs?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:14 AM

I knew about the earplugs I just didn't want to go out of my way finding a pair. I see what you mean by everything being hidden, but I'd still like to know if I have a 2nd battery or not, because one of my cousins told me that there isn't a 2nd batery at all. But there has to be another power souce because there are no wires running from my main car battery.

Also no, I don't live in a messed up town, in fact, my neighborhood is full of nothing but houses with inground pools and courts (mine too ). So I don't really know why I'm doing all this. I guess the Viper alarm itself is fine. The thing is I take this car wherever I go, but the more I go to rotten cities the more I stay close to my car.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:16 PM

you can get earplugs at any drugstore / hardware store.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:30 PM

sorry about the earplugs remark... i admit it was kinda rude. but if you wanna see the wires look under your steering column and find the main harness. thats where you find a 12 volt source and switch and door locks wires.dependingon the installer and how much time they took you will either see the brain or maybe all the wires.and the best way to find out if there is a second battery is to find your reciept and look to see if you purchased a battery back up. if not then there's not. in that case you may want to invest in one. the reason you dont use the main battery is because it would be easily seen and disabled. oh and btw. you can also get a switch that wont allow the car to start with the hood popped( it will still run if you start and then pop, but not if you pop and then try to start). oh and we're all just messing with you about all the security, i have a saying "Whatever floats your boat." and if it makes you feel better to know that if some idiot is jacking up your car to steal your rims your alarm will go off thats cool. and if you need anymore advice or help let us know we're all here to help.

Quick Reply: Car Security??