Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

cd player headunit shutof

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Default cd player headunit shutof

well when knockin my system i usually tend not to go over the volume of 20 on my headunit. well ive noticed from time to time,i accidently go over by a few, and when a hard beat comes on, my headunit, shutsoff and turns back on again. Like it restated itself. I am wondering is their something wrong with my wiring, or a short voltage lost?

Any solutions people?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: cd player headunit shutof

Get a capacitor. The headunit is the first to shut down when the voltage drops too low. A cap should fix your problem since you normally don't have an issue. A stronger battery or alternator would fix it too, and a bit better, but a cap should work in this case.

1 Farad per 800 Watts RMS

Old 01-25-2008, 02:37 PM

i do have a cap. a power acuostik 2 farad cap. i guess i juz need a better battery or alternator?

Old 01-25-2008, 05:36 PM

I notice in your sig that you have 12 speakers in the car. 2 are the 15" subs and you have an amp powering them. So... the other ten are what? and what is powering them? You say you try not to turn the volume up past 20, which speakers are keeping you from turning it up past 20? I'm gonna guess that its the speakers that pop when the radio shuts off and restarts.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:40 PM

yea i should clear the speaker up part in my sig a lil better. i have the stock 4 speakers with the car. I added 6 300watt 2 inch tweeters (4 in each a/c vent on dash and two in the rear), then my two 15's. Which totals it up to 12.
as for not going higher than 20, when i do, ALL the lights dim in the car. staying at or under 20, i only notice the headlights dim. going above 20, i always get this weird gut feeling that its going to kill the battery.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:04 AM

boom boom, tink tink, ok but do you have an amp powering those tweeters? Do you have an amp powering the stock speakers? If you have the stock speakers and the tweeters all running off of the head unit then that is your problem. Your head unit cannot handle a load lower than 4 ohms per channel. If you wired upsix tweeters in parallel to the four channels from the head unit and I assume the stock speakers are 4 ohm and the tweeters are 6 ohm, then the deck is seeing around a1.7 ohm load for the front channels and 2.4ohm load for the rear and at high volume levels is drawing too much power. It sends the deck into protection mode for overcurrent. It apparentlly does this at or above volume 20 for you.

As for your headlight dimming, first fix this tweeter situation. Next turn the gain on the amp all the way down and turn the bass boost off as well. Set the low pass crossover on the amp around 60 to 70Hzsince you have 15"s I wouldn't go any higher than this. Now turn your deck on and turn the bass level down to center, turn loudness or bbe off. Turn off any DSP sound curves. Basically start with everything being flat. Turn the volume up about 3/4 of the way up. Hear any distortion? you shouldn't unless there is something wrong, like a blown speaker or too much bass to speakers that can't handle it. Fix the distortion problem if any is present. If no distortion turn the sub level up about 3/4 of the way up or until distortion and then turn it down a couple of notches. If you reach 3/4 volume and sub level 3/4 of the way up and you think the subs can take some more punishment, slowlly turn the gain on the amp up until distortion and then back down 1/8th of a turn. If you can turn the gain all the way up then turn it back that 1/8 of a turn anyway and adjust the bass boost on the amp untill you are satisfied. If this still isn't enough to cause distortion on those subs, get a bigger amp. Hell buy two and two more subs cause sooner or later you'll be deaf. If your headlights still dim real bad (lets face it, you will have a little; but it shouldn't be that noticable) then we need to look at how your wiring job is and talk about getting more power.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 AM

will take a look at they system when i get a chance. Yea i wired in the tweeters through the harness. Will let you know who it goes. thanks