Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Changing the DVD Navigation on 2012 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Default Changing the DVD Navigation on 2012 Accord

Since Acura and Honda share parts and technology, what affect would inserting a Acura DVD Nav Disk into a Accord DVD Navi reader. Would it be interchangeable? And would it upgrade the firmware to react like an acura system or would it not take it?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

good question. i have no idea. let us know if you find an answer!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 AM

The steering is tighter then previous accords, however I will say that it does loosen after approx 1k miles, I think the fluids need to flow through the system more then just off the boat. Im still just now getting out of the 'break in period' and it seems even though the manual calls for regular gas, just upgrading to midgrade provides better engine response.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

i run premium only as the cheap stuff here has ethanol which hurts fuel economy and power. and i've switched to full synthetic oil. just the oil improvement gave me a 3mpg increase on the highway, consistently.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive
i run premium only as the cheap stuff here has ethanol which hurts fuel economy and power. and i've switched to full synthetic oil. just the oil improvement gave me a 3mpg increase on the highway, consistently.
I'm not sure how it's possible to say that ethanol hurts fuel economy or power. The engine is engineered to run off 87 and the gasoline is standardized to have the same combustive properties ethanol or not. I'd say it's more likely that you have a subjective perception about gasoline than the idea that there are substantial differences.

I have a 2012 EX-L 4 cyle and I've been really surprised at how smooth it rides after 1500 miles of driving. Before breakin it was definitely much jerkier and stiffer. It's a great car. I only wish I could have found a 4cyl with Navi.

Is anyone having luck finding the navi hardware for install? I'd consider buying it from Honda.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jenk2k
I'm not sure how it's possible to say that ethanol hurts fuel economy or power. The engine is engineered to run off 87 and the gasoline is standardized to have the same combustive properties ethanol or not. .
i'm assuming you're not a chemical engineer... there is more to fuel than octane ratings. simply put, ethanol blended gasoline has less energy content than straight gasoline.

Ethanol
E10 (gasohol)

E10 (also called “gasohol”) is a blend of 10% ethanol and 90% gasoline sold in many parts of the country. All auto manufacturers approve the use of blends of 10% ethanol or less in their gasoline vehicles. However, vehicles will typically go 3–4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 than on straight gasoline.

google gives this, a study from proponents of ethanol. this is as good as ethanol will be.
http://www.ethanol.org/pdf/contentmg...yStudy_001.pdf

my unbiased opinions are based on traveling for work on the same highways, usually my trips are 300-400 miles
using cruise control,
several times a week,
filling up every time.
over a span of years.

patterns emerge, and consistent fuel economy (and range) also emerge. i travel in Iowa a lot, so ethanol blend gasoline is everywhere (and cheap).
i'm not surprised that 93 octane without ethanol gives is better fuel economy than 89 with 10%. i have not tested 91-92 octane with 10% ethanol that much.

i was very surprised that switching from normal oil to a heavier synthetic would make that much of a difference, consistently. but my oil is cleaner after 3k miles than it was after 200 miles (since the switch).

Old 06-22-2012, 07:01 AM

Also found after my breaking in period the engine remains smooth.

How reliable is the 'OIL LIFE INDICATOR?' what is it actual reading. I haven't moved from 90% since the initial 250 miles and not touching on 2k.

Im used to using the 3k or 3 months rule but if mfr. suggested change rate is based on messages from the console, is it worth waiting for?

Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Eyempack
Since Acura and Honda share parts and technology, what affect would inserting a Acura DVD Nav Disk into a Accord DVD Navi reader. Would it be interchangeable? And would it upgrade the firmware to react like an acura system or would it not take it?

Your thoughts are appreciated.
My initial investigations are interesting, Acura has 'Homelink' hardware, now I need to see if the hardware exists within my honda (It's not visible on the nav diagnostic screen) if it does would be inserting the acura dvd break it?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

does your car use 0W-30? most oil service intervals are 5k-6k anymore. with synthetic you can go to 8k or further. all depends on the vehicle and driving habits.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Eyempack
Also found after my breaking in period the engine remains smooth.

How reliable is the 'OIL LIFE INDICATOR?' what is it actual reading. I haven't moved from 90% since the initial 250 miles and not touching on 2k.

Im used to using the 3k or 3 months rule but if mfr. suggested change rate is based on messages from the console, is it worth waiting for?
The Maintenance Minder indicates "calculated" engine oil life. Keep in mind, the oil life is calculated based on engine operating conditions, etc.; it does not actually analyze the oil quality or the level.

Generally, you will hear some people say to change it when it reach 15% oil life. With the exception of the first oil change (there is molybdenum in the engine to help during engine break-in), I personally would not go all the way to 15%. You can and may not experience any problems; however, there have been many people with stretched cam chains with the 4 cylinders due to infrequent oil changes or low oil levels. -- The 2003-2007 (7th generation) Accord 4 cylinders engines are relatively similar to the 2008-2012 (8th generation) Accord 4 cylinders (they are K24 engines with timing chains); and there have been a bunch of 7th generation Accord owners who had stretched chains.

So, in between frequent oil changes, always check your oil levels regularly.

For 2011-2012 Accords, 0W-20 is the recommended viscosity.