Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Cobra 6 band

Old 12-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Default Cobra 6 band

Just got a radar detector, Its a Cobra 6 band (early christmas present) So Id like to know the ups and downs of having a radar detector....I know if i get caught with it speeding, the ticket is double....For obvious resones lol

But its pretty nice, it has Lasar and Radar Detection. Construction Detection...Ambulance, Fire, Ect. Ect.

LET ME KNOW

Old 12-24-2007, 12:26 PM
Default RE: Cobra 6 band

I didn't know that speeding tickets doubled if you had one... what state are you in?

The biggest downside to them is that most police officers now have instant on laser radar guns so a radar detector doesn't always give you that much warning

Old 12-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ill never get a radar detector. It would encourage me to speed, because of the overconfidence, and most likely end up getting me more tickets. radar detectors can only detect radar when the cop is pulling the trigger. Plus, if a cop sees you have one, that makes you less likely to get out of a ticket too.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:29 PM

Yeah but i live in a town where they arent very up to date with electronics lol, and on the freeway they always have the radar or laser on because they attach it to thier dash and lock it in. So Ill never have to wonder if its a cop behind me or not (i live in cottage grove, OR)

Old 12-25-2007, 10:23 AM

cobra's are "average" radar detector. Be careful b/c sometime the radar detector will go off at random spots. Ive got a passport 8500 and know a few techniques. I dont know ur radar detector symbols but when u know a cop is near but ur going to fast (especially at night), do not hit the brakes for long period of time (longer than 3 seconds), just tap it then gently pull the e-brake. Hold down the button on the ebrake (dont let go, or u might spinout). Pull the e-brake harder until u feel the car slow down. by doing this the cops wont c u hit the brakes cuz of the back lights. in the past i got a speeding ticket with my 350 passport cuz i only used the brakes, cop said the brake light was how he knew i was going to fast. so the ebrake works great.

and try hiding ur radar detector. have it hidden somewhere on ur dash. i have mine on the top right of the driver side. keeps it hidin and looks cool.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: pham9006
Pull the e-brake harder until u feel the car slow down. by doing this the cops wont c u hit the brakes cuz of the back lights. in the past i got a speeding ticket with my 350 passport cuz i only used the brakes, cop said the brake light was how he knew i was going to fast. so the ebrake works great.
I'm sorry bud but the ebrake causes the brake lights to go on just like thefoot brake does.
Just take your foot off the gas every time you see a cop. If the cop can't see the back of your car, hit the brakes. But take your foot off of them as soon as he can see the back of your car.

Radar detectors are not illegalin most states (unless you drive a semi truck.) You just can't have a radar gun like the cops have. But I can understand the cops giving you a speeding ticket instead of a warning if you have one. They will see that as something you use to speed all the timem so they will think giving you a ticket may slow you down (morons.)
If you get pulled over, just hide it!

Old 12-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

00LX, no handbrake does NOT set off the brake lights, only the dash "BRAKE" light.

I dont have a radar detector, but if I see a cop in front of me, and im going even 3mph over the speed limit ill slow down, usually by downshifting into D3 and maybe a small amount of ebrakage.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:45 PM

I'll have to check mine again tonight. I was 99% sure mine lit up when I ebraked.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:49 AM

yea im pretty sure that the ebrake does not light up the back

Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 AM

Yeah, I'm retarded. It doesn't. I checked last night on the way home from work. eBrake away next time you see a cop! I know I will! I actually already did it once this morning on my way to work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cobra 6 band