Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

disarmming Alarm System

Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Default disarmming Alarm System

My 97 accord sat all weekend and now the audiovox alarm that i have not used in over 2 years is now armed and I don't know how to disarm it. I have the remote but that does not reset it and I tried that toggle switch under the dashboard and nada.. HOW CAN I RESET THIS DAM THING SO THAT I CAN START MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could just rip it out!
Any help would great, Thanks

Old 01-08-2012, 07:45 PM

Try popping the hood and disconnecting the battery.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Administrator

One of our expert alarm people will now see this and get you some help..

WheelBrokerAng..

Old 01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like the alarm system has a starter interrupt as well.

under the hood you should see fuses for the alarm system. if not, then the installer was good and hid them under the dash - probably near the steering column.

this is what i would do:
1. disconnect the battery negative.
2. find the alarm brain. look up the model number and download the installation instructions from the mfr website.
3. buy a service manual for the car that includes wiring schematics. I used a Haynes manual for my alarm install.
4. trace the starter interrupt wire and figure out where/how they tied into the ignition - probably near the key cylinder in the steering column. removal of the lower dash trim and steering column trim is required here.
5. decide if you want to defeat the alarm system starter interrupt by undoing the wiring they did. this is where you should have a very good idea of what you're doing - or have an alarm/car audio shop help you. they likely just cut the starter wire and intercepted each side of it. you can tie that wire back together to undo the interrupt.
6. the alarm system may be acting as an lock/unlock with a key fob. if you have no key fob then you have no need for this, and you can just pull the fuses for the alarm system.