Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Factory Deck on a aftermarket system?

Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 PM
bpdunlv
Unregistered
Default Factory Deck on a aftermarket system?

I have a very elaborate stereo (several thousand $) in my old car and am taking it out. I now have an 04 Accord and wish to put part of the old stereo in it. I have been out of the stereo scene for a while and was not sure what to do. Could I use my factory deck and hook up a few amps onto that?
I really don’t want to start ripping my car apart and putting in all my subs, I just want something simple, yet decent. Maybe just a bandpass box. My last car had 6 10” subs so I would like something halfway decent, maybe 2 12”s
thanks

Old 08-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Default RE: Factory Deck on a aftermarket system?

yeah you can use your factory deck i think the sound quality is pretty decent, you may need a rca output convertor for your amps. just tap into the wires for the rear speakers. it will also probably be good to either amplify the stock speakers or replace them.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:27 PM

If your amps hace high level inputs then you can hook them up using the speaker outputs from the factory head unit and then run new speaker wires from the amp to the speakers.

The problem with this is noise and lots of it. Youll have a hiss constantly. It may not be a huge problem and youll only be able to notice it when the volume is very low or its a quiet part of the song.

There are a couple ways to get around this.

1- Crutchfield has 2 kits for putting aftermarket HU's in. One replaces the HVAC and HU section of the dash with a place to put a new HU and still uses the HVAC controls. $150

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ktqs1Vi...mp;I=120997864

2- They also make an adapter that replaces the storage cubby below the AC controls. This is the way I went. $30

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ktqs1Vi...mp;I=120997862

3- The JL Audio Clean Sweep. It takes the inputs from the factory deck, runs it thru a DSP and flattens out the response curve then boosts the signal 8 volts to get the noise floor nice and low and converts them out to RCA's. A neat feature is it also has a current sensing output so you can use it for the remote lead for your amps so you dont have to run anything back to the trunk except power and ground wires. $300

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...hp?prod_id=369

Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM

isnt it weird having a nonworking factory headunit and an aftermarket one at the same time?

Old 08-24-2007, 06:10 PM

Nah. The OEM head unit has so many buttons and gizmos on it it doesnt really look like a CD player! Plus it makes a really good clock! LOL

Another benefit is the security aspect. I take the faceplate off my beloved Alpine and if some thug peers thru the windows he sees the factory stereo in there and figures (hopefully) there isnt anything in there worth stealing.

Here is what mine looked like before (during actually) and after -

Old 08-24-2007, 07:53 PM

Here's an alternative but I doubt you would be satisfied with it :

12 gauge wire to all speakers
dash tweeters disconnected
JL audio 45X4 amp
Bazooka 200W Bass Tube
JL Audio Clean Sweep
Kicker 2 way speakers

for some reason the pictures just won't materialize even though I've put pics here a zillion times........please click on the attachments.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 PM
maxout
Unregistered

i like your idea/install Mac.. at bottom where u have room + no need to get rid of those gizmos.. and it would not look 100% fit since the main deck is build in curve and has whole ac/and other features interated below.

how did you install that at bottom did you took out the plugs from the main honda deck and plug them in to the alpine one.. with that harnez.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 PM

Yeah. That harness is actually a bypass. It plugs into the back of the OEM head unit and then into the Alpine. It still sends power and everything to the OEM unit so it will still power up - but the speakers will be powered from the new head unit.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:21 AM

that sounds like a cool idea but my main display doesnt work now that i had to unplug it which sucks because i have a dcc so i have to guess where my ac is at and i have no clock now

to be honest that actually looks really clean. i think it works better with your car because you have grey interior i have tan

hey rick why did you disconnect the factory tweets? and where do those wires run behind the amplifier because i might steal that idea to put an amp in that location

Old 09-03-2007, 03:30 AM
Coupe07
Unregistered

I am actually using the one that replaces both the HU and the HVAC controls and I love it. Very easy install and looks clean. Actually looks like part of the car. Has LEDs and everything. Never had an issue. Been using it for 3 years now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Factory Deck on a aftermarket system?