Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Firewall Grommet/Hole

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Default Firewall Grommet/Hole

Hi, I am new to hondaaccordforum and I have an '02 Accord coupe, and I am trying to find a break in the firewall through which to run some 4 ga. wire. I am aware that there is another similar thread in existence, but it's for a '04, and I'm pretty sure the body style changed after '02 for Accords (correct me if I'm wrong).

I've found one or two breaks near the master cylinder on the driver's side, but the more obvious of the two seems as if I would have to cut into the grommet in order to actually run the wire through it. If it would be safe/ok to slit open the hole in the grommet to make it slightly bigger and run the wire through, I would be willing to do this too.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

i've found several in my 2001.

check out my build log, link in my sig.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

and yes, the spare grommet is fine to use, just drill out a hole sized for a 4awg rubber grommet and run it through. don't forget some silicone on the engine so you don't get water ingress.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 PM

Ok, thanks. I think I'll end up hacking into one of the grommets that's already there.

Nice work on yours by the way, ultra clean work. Any suggestions on me putting a 15" in the trunk (SQ of trunk, wiring problems, etc)? I'd definitely appreciate it.

I'd like to upgrade speakers and all but I probably won't, too lazy. haha.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

you could fit it behind the rear seat - sealed off in the opening with the enclosure under the rear deck. you'll have to make the enclosure clear the torsion bars, but it could be inserted from inside the car - just remove the rear seat and the rear support bars (replace support bars when finished). just line it up with the rear seat opening and face the sub forward. make sure to seal it off on the sides to concentrate the pressure in the cabin. note: this will also eliminate trunk rattle.

if this 12 can fit, a 15 can fit:

Name:  accordtrunk053008014.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  118.5 KB

even some decent speakers in factory locations are a huge improvement over factory. trust me on that - it's worth the effort.

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 04-28-2010 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

there is a grommet here, the power wire was loomed and secured after this pic was taken. don't leave your wire loose like this and drive it.

Name:  firewall2.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  48.1 KB

Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Ok, that's definitely a lot more help, haha. Could you give me a couple reference points though? Like what the thing on the right side of the picture is and/or which side is driver's, etc.?

And in reference to the speakers, I have some sony 6-1/2's in the same truck that I am moving the stereo from, will probably use those in the doors and eventually get some 6x9s for the back deck, but what's the deal with the stock tweets? When I go to drop in the 'new' stereo, will these be included in the stock wiring? And do they warrant being replaced in the stock location?

Also, my accord doesn't have a drop-down armrest type area in the back seat.... the back of the back seat is just broken into 2 parts (about 60-40) which can independently drop down.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

driver's side only - the passenger size has the blower motor and HVAC and you don't have access. the driver's side has a huge cavity up under the dash. enough to fit a 10" sub in a fiberglass enclosure.

in the pic, you can see the gas pedal linkage just left and low of the penetration.

the factory tweets have their own crossover and are just in parallel with the front door speakers. you can reuse them or replace them with a set of components. if you reuse the factory speaker wiring and just replace the speaker, the factory tweets will remain functional. that may not be a bad thing with door speakers.

i recommend you don't put coaxial sony's up front. move those to the rear and get a decent set of component speakers up front.

i can also tell you that if you put subs in the trunk, rear deck speakers will just distort from the pressure. also, if you just leave the rear speakers out, the subs will play through those rear holes - giving you more bass without distortion.

for starters you could try just replacing the front speakers with your sony's, leaving the factory tweeters in the dash, and just removing the rear speakers. then see if you like that with your subs. if the speakers aren't as loud as you want - you'll need an amp for your front speakers, and some component speakers. you can build the system in phases/stages as time and money allow.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:52 PM

ok, what i'll probably do first is just drop in the sony's in the front doors and put in the stereo to hold me over til i get some more money and am able to buy the sub, and then go from there. (thinking about a 15" Kicker CVR)

if i were to just take out the rear deck speakers, would that be something that my ear would notice? as in would i be able to hear that the sound was only coming from my sides/front? i've been used to having speakers behind me and in kick panels, so i don't really know if there would be any effect of taking out the rear decks other than loudness.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i have found the hole above the gas pedal, i have been sticking a coat hanger in there but it doesnt want to go through. is there something blocking it. i dont want to drill a hole at all, period.

Quick Reply: Firewall Grommet/Hole