Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Firewall Grommet/Hole

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

please take a pic of the hole.

i'll use a flash light on the inside and look for light in the engine bay. there is a rubber grommet on the hole, that needs to be removed then drilled out to accept the wire. after the grommet is removed you should have a clear pass through. look on the firewall for a matching grommet. how far in does the wire go (inches)?

Old 07-17-2010, 11:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

the hole im talking about is the one in the picture on this post. it is above the gass pedal, are you saying there is a grommet on the inside of that hole. i want to do anything to not drill a hole through

Old 07-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

yes, inside that hole, on the firewall, is a plastic grommet. you need to pry that out, then make a hole perfectly sized in the plastic grommet for the wire. then replace the grommet. now you can thread the power wire through the hole in the grommet. the plastic grommet can be replaced if you ever remove the power wire. after you run the wire and get everything secured, run some silicone on the wire/grommet hole to prevent water leaks.

you're gonna drill through something - a plastic grommet is nothing to worry about. i understand if you don't want to drill through the firewall.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

can you post a picture of were the hole comes out, also were can i ground my amp in the trunk

Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

it is high on the fire wall on the engine side. when you remove the grommet you can see right through. i'll need to look for a pic or take one, but i am leaving for the night so it will have to be tomorrow. once you remove the grommet, it should be obvious.

you want a short amp ground, no longer than 3 feet. it should be to the floor or thick metal, that is sanded bare (paint removed). where are you putting the amp(s)?

Old 07-17-2010, 04:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I am putting one amp in the trunk, i need a place to ground it, i already knew the bare metal part, i also knew were the firewall hole is on the inside i just need to know were it is in engine bay. is it easier to remove the grommet from the inside of the car or the inside of the engine bay.

Old 07-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

you can remove the grommet from either side, it comes off easily. you'll just need to get in there and investigate. it's part of the process. consider the height of the grommet from the floor pan and the relationship to the steering column to help you locate it. use a ruler, whatever you need to associate locations.

you haven't told me the specific amp location yet, so i cannot offer a suggestion for an existing bolt that will be close enough. i recommend drilling a hole and bolting a marine grade ring terminal, but i assume you don't want to drill in the trunk either? grounds should be less than 3 feet.

best thing to do is take a pic of the amp where you want to put it. from there i will know what is nearby.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i can take a picture tonight but i dont have the amp yet, i ordered it thursday night, it should be here tuesday, but i can place something to show were i am putting the amp. how do you suggest removing the grommet above the gas pedal.

Old 07-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

i typically use a small flat head screwdriver (like in a precision screw driver set) to get under the lip and pry it out.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i got it out. it wasnt hard to do at all. i cant figure out how to add a picture but i am placing the amp close to the hook (were the trunk lid closes and connects) close to the back of the car. do you have any suggestions of any better place.

Quick Reply: Firewall Grommet/Hole