Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio/Visual Electronics (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/)
-   -   Good Deal or Bad Deal (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/audio-visual-electronics-10/good-deal-bad-deal-10952/)

Kyle 07-14-2007 01:26 AM

Good Deal or Bad Deal

as the topic says is this a good deal or bad deal.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....prd53600050001

ive heard people say that the sony xplodes do what their called and explode. Advice would be greatly appreciated

tru_44 07-14-2007 02:04 AM

RE: Good Deal or Bad Deal

bad deal, those people are right,what is your max spending amount ? and what size/type of sub are u loking for. p.s package deals are not always the best to go after

t00fatt 07-14-2007 10:26 AM

Thats not even a good price, but defiantly stay away from the xplods. If you want quality subs at low cost get s pair of Kicker CVRs.

sir_nasty 07-14-2007 10:38 AM

If budget is a big issue then you could also try some pawn shops and get some good stuff for really cheap...

MacLeod 07-14-2007 11:21 AM

Im gonna get flamed for this but that isnt a half bad deal. Sony isnt the best stuff in the world but its not the worst either. Their subs are decent, and their amps are ok. I doubt youll get 1200 watts out of them but youd get a pretty good bit. Sony has several demo cars running around on theshow circuit and Ive seen a couple of them. They all work and sound pretty good.

The box is a solid piece. Q-Logic makes some nice stuff.

All and all, a pair of decent 12's in a pretty solid box with a decent amp for $350 aint bad. Youre not going to win any sound quality or SPL competitions and you wont be the loudest guy on the block, but it will be (forgive me for saying it again) decent.

Now if you were to spend a couple hundred more you could get a MUCH better setup.

03Sleeper 07-14-2007 12:37 PM

Anything is better than stock though. XPlod are just slightly better and there are so many better choices.

Go Alpine/Polk/Blaupankt/Pioneer...those are quality. Infinity are the best bang for the buck.

tru_44 07-14-2007 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: MacLeod

Im gonna get flamed for this but that isnt a half bad deal. Sony isnt the best stuff in the world but its not the worst either. Their subs are decent, and their amps are ok. I doubt youll get 1200 watts out of them but youd get a pretty good bit. Sony has several demo cars running around on theshow circuit and Ive seen a couple of them. They all work and sound pretty good.

The box is a solid piece. Q-Logic makes some nice stuff.

All and all, a pair of decent 12's in a pretty solid box with a decent amp for $350 aint bad. Youre not going to win any sound quality or SPL competitions and you wont be the loudest guy on the block, but it will be (forgive me for saying it again) decent.

Now if you were to spend a couple hundred more you could get a MUCH better setup.
wow! "flame on" lol, but sony is an upgarde from stock but it's not quality. For that price I feel u could run one decent sub and out perform the explodes. I've seen a few sites selling 2xplode 12's for under $100 so that is why I consider that price to high.(maybe consider type r, cvr, fubr,) also here is a fun link to view: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/xtm/xplodfire.htm

tru_44 07-14-2007 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: 03Sleeper

Anything is better than stock though. XPlod are just slightly better and there are so many better choices.

Go Alpine/Polk/Blaupankt/Pioneer...those are quality. Infinity are the best bang for the buck.

I also agree with this better than xplode.......^ Infinity is so so decent in some areas, poor in others.

pyaarawala 07-14-2007 10:23 PM

Price is definitely too high for Sony products. They sound like the Dual brand subs and even those are ok sounding. If I were you I wouldn't buy that, and go for the many other brands that other HAF users mentioned. Since I have Pioneers, I highly recommend Pioneer subs. Try staying away from their amps though.

bbyaccord02 07-14-2007 10:28 PM

sorry guys but im gonna have to pull the expert card on this one, since i am an installer at bestbuy ive seen this set up more than i want to. althought it is true that it is an upgrade from stock its also a terrible set up in the long run. out of those 1200 watts i think i remember seeing 300 rms. and i also have to agree that you could put one alpine type r and pound louder than both sony's. but my best advice is to wait a little longer and save up a little cash to do it right. you've waited this long to get subs, why not wait and get something that you wont have to upgrade down the road.

bbyaccord02 07-14-2007 10:35 PM

but if you are looking for best sound with lowest price tag bestbuy offers two options, both better than the sony in my opinion. one is the dual setup with the bandpass box and any amp with a little power, the other is a brand called insignia. there is a package with two twelves and an amp for like two hundred bucks and then a box. i put those in an integra the other day and they gave me a headache really loud they just lack clarity. and if anyone is wondering the insignia name is an off brand usually made by larger companys like power acoustic, lg, etc.

tru_44 07-15-2007 12:01 AM

ORIGINAL: bbyaccord02

but if you are looking for best sound with lowest price tag bestbuy offers two options, both better than the sony in my opinion. one is the dual setup with the bandpass box and any amp with a little power, the other is a brand called insignia. there is a package with two twelves and an amp for like two hundred bucks and then a box. i put those in an integra the other day and they gave me a headache really loud they just lack clarity. and if anyone is wondering the insignia name is an off brand usually made by larger companys like power acoustic, lg, etc.
hmm looks like u are trying to promote bestbuy. But I saw your post and jus had to comment. 1st bandpass box suck if not tuned correct by professionals. 2nd " insignia" a brand lower than the explode. bid are on ebay for 1cent and saw buy it now $9.99. i doubt power acoustik makes it they make(pa,spl,kole,soundstream). last i did some lookin and told that bestbuy makes them. also that insignia and bb have the same address. "don't know for sure but that is what i saw". so with post i just wanted to clear some things up not bash.

Fat Ryan 07-15-2007 12:52 AM

http://www.caraudio.com;)check the classifieds. some of the best deals youll prolly ever see.

tru_44 07-15-2007 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Fat Ryan

http://www.caraudio.com;)check the classifieds. some of the best deals youll prolly ever see.
x2 a good forum for car audio

bbyaccord02 07-15-2007 03:45 PM

the only reason i say power acoustic is bc we have subs that used to say power acoustic on them and now its the same sub including the model number except it says insignia on them. the reason it says best buy makes them is because best buy pays other people to make them, same with tv's and stuff. and i dont mean to promote bestbuy i just am there almost everyday and have to know about the stuff so i know a little about it. i happen to own a set of comp vr's myself and think their awesome just not the cheapest subs i ever bout

Dno1251 07-15-2007 04:10 PM

aren't comp vr's the cheapest kicker subs you can get?
weak, weak stuff.

smaglik 07-15-2007 09:12 PM

i've always had success with rockford fosgate, but its been a few years.

and dont purchase at best buy. they've bent me over the service desk with kitty litter so many times, i havent purchased anything from them in over 5 years....bad, bad business

bbyaccord02 07-15-2007 10:31 PM

no comp vr's arent the cheapest kickers you can buy. and sorry bout the whole bad service at best buy, i just put in car audio.

Kyle 07-16-2007 02:13 AM

im looking probably to sped anything from 400 - 500 bucks. Opinions

EDIT!!: looks like the deal has changed. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....prd57600050001
is that worth it or is it just better than stock alpine

t00fatt 07-16-2007 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Dno1251

aren't comp vr's the cheapest kicker subs you can get?
weak, weak stuff.

Weak? If broken in correctly the CVRs are anything but weak. I've been pounding my 15" CVRs for more then two years. Kicker subs are built better then ANY sub in the price rage. Just because you might know a genius who blow a kicker before breaking it in, does not make them weak. Kickers are worth every penny, and they aren't even expensive I got my 15"s on sale for $100 a piece.

EDIT: Also don't buy anything from best buy unless you want to pay more. Find out what type of subs and amp you want, then search for the best price. CLICK HERE for a list of good online stores.

smaglik 07-16-2007 11:49 AM

a little off topic...yesterday i bought an mp3 player from circuit city....it was 80 online. and 90 in the store.

IIRC, there is currently a class action against best buy for having prices lower on the web than in the store, and not honoring it. Apparently the sales reps would lead the customer to a pc that showed a web-like interface with the higher price.

tru_44 07-16-2007 12:00 PM

Places not to buy audio: Wal-mart, Bestbuy, Circuit City.If you are looking for a deal go on ebay. You can also try www.caraudio.com/forum there are nice things for sale at decent prices.

smaglik 07-16-2007 12:10 PM

what about crutchfield?

tru_44 07-16-2007 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: t00fatt

Weak? If broken in correctly the CVRs are anything but weak. I've been pounding my 15" CVRs for more then two years. Kicker subs are built better then ANY sub in the price rage. Just because you might know a genius who blow a kicker before breaking it in, does not make them weak. Kickers are worth every penny, and they aren't even expensive I got my 15"s on sale for $100 a piece.
[/quote]

That is your opinion, not fact. many brands out there that are better for the buck,

smaglik 07-16-2007 12:37 PM

why is your opinion any more fact than his?

tru_44 07-16-2007 12:41 PM

I being truthful there are many all u have to do is look. there are 100's of brands out there many u may have neva heard of. look at spec's/ details

bbyaccord02 07-16-2007 04:33 PM

and out of those 100's of brands professionals can usually count using there fingers the ones worth buying...

and the whole thing with bestbuy and the misleading internet pricing thing is being resolved. i always used my treo to look up stuff for customers

smaglik 07-16-2007 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: bbyaccord02

and out of those 100's of brands professionals can usually count using there fingers the ones worth buying...

and the whole thing with bestbuy and the misleading internet pricing thing is being resolved. i always used my treo to look up stuff for customers
It may be, but I still wont shop there. Once you file suit against someone, that really ends the honeymoon. :)

Anyway, thoughts on crutchfield, anyone?

tru_44 07-16-2007 06:09 PM

crutchfield is a lil over priced but, from what I hear they offer some of the best customer service and are very helpful.

sir_nasty 07-16-2007 06:29 PM

I still rock my Fosgate Punch Series 1 12" sure i started with two but I put an older kenwood 400w amp to them and didn't realize until later that after you've been drinking for a while your music doesn't sound as loud as it actually is... *L* Personally, if you want to save money but get something good then I'd buy some late model used stuff or old stock... but then again I'm a tight wad *L*

03Sleeper 07-16-2007 07:18 PM

@ topic of Crutchfield

You pay for what you get....helpful customer service, full blown step-by-step instructions, detailed diagrams, the works.

Kyle 07-16-2007 07:31 PM

the reason i want to buy from best buy is that they can install it right there. The only thing ive installed in my car is my deck which was pretty easy. But with a sub and amp it sounds alot more complicated then put there here and clip these together kinda thing

tru_44 07-16-2007 07:47 PM

u don't have anyone that could help you "family or frens"? or maybe talk to a bestbuy installer about some outside work away from bestbuyand if you are willing to pay him he may accept.

Kyle 07-16-2007 07:59 PM

Is the installation somewhat easy. If i get it from crutchfield they give the step by step guide. Got my deck from them and the installation was a breeze.

tru_44 07-16-2007 08:08 PM

yes installing is easy not difficult, as some may think

bbyaccord02 07-16-2007 09:47 PM

i agree the stereo system is pretty simple on the install end. if you get started and have any questions you have a whole group of people (HAF) with the experience your looking for to help you through it.

smaglik 07-16-2007 09:51 PM

ORIGINAL: tru_44

crutchfield is a lil over priced but, from what I hear they offer some of the best customer service and are very helpful.
cool...that's been my experience, and my assessment of their numbers as well.

Kyle 07-16-2007 10:15 PM

so the installation is pretty easy. Will have to look around crutchfield then.

smaglik 07-16-2007 10:22 PM

dont hesitate to call them. some of the people there are pretty knowledgable.

Kyle 07-16-2007 10:36 PM

oops. double posted i guess