Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

got a grand....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Default RE: got a grand....

threads about that sub: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...=Orion+H2+12.2

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...=Orion+H2+12.2

i also found that they need about 1k rms to perform good

Old 07-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

thanks for the input guys....

the craigslist guy is local...so the cash / money order is not an issue. And I definitely would want to listen to it before I bought it. He hasnt responded to me yet, so it may be a moot point. Either was, if it needs 1g rms to work, that isnt for me.

I have a friend who used to be deep into car audio. He has a 12" kicker sub (not sure of model number) which was part of their high end line when he bought it (I know there are differeing feelings on their stuff...so let's keep our dicks holstered), but hasnt seen much use. I would probably get it close to free (or trade a bowling ball for it), along with an enclosure.

I am going to price up a new deck with the associated stuff vs. the clean sweep....still on the fence on that one.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 AM

alright...i went to a local audio shop...and got an estimate...

i told the guy what I wanted to do with my old amp....and i think he completely ignored me.

i got an estimate for about 2000 in work...i just looked at it, and looked at the guy, and said "well, I was lookin for about half that." and the response was "well, maybe we could step down a little."

The estimate was for all high end memphis audio stuff...

600 for a 5 channel M Class amp (includes a trade credit on mine)
300 for 2 pairs of M class speakers
350 for a clean sweep
150 for mclass sub (12")
50 for a box
much labor and misc stuff

So here is what I think I am going to do:

Replace the speakers on my own...prolly order from crutchfield
Assess system at that point..
If not acceptable, order amp wiring kit, secure sub and box, and wire it myself. My amp has high level inputs, however they use a molex connecter which i've had to order.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 AM

So where are you on this project? I was reading up on the 'Clean Sweep'. Concept sounds great, would like to hear a real-life opinion!

How easy is the speaker replacement project? I presume rear-shelf is easy, but doors are a hassle. I've always avoided doing doors on my car because I'm scared that, at the end of it all, some clip or other non-screwed fastener will break, and I'll be stuck with a rattle or vibration! Replacing speakers sounds like a great first step.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:24 AM

i've got the speakers on order. should come in today. i will put them in...then take stock..and decide where to go next...likely wire up my amp to the 4 speakers...then if i desire more bass, add a sub.

i decided to pass on the clean sweep at first...its quite expensive, and since my amp takes high level inputs, i figured i'd try without it first...can always drop it in later.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:27 AM

update...they just showed up...i might put the rears in this afternoon.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 PM

Please take pictures! Especially of the door project!

So phase 2 plan is to hook your powerful amp to the output of the stock head unit / amp, and then feed the speakers. Your amp can handle the already amplified signal coming out of the head unit.

Sounds interesting!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:42 PM

Speakers are the easy part....just make sure you have the harnesses in hand and a welder.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Steerpike
Please take pictures! Especially of the door project!
BTW - if it's too much hassle for you to upload pics, you could email them to me and I'll host them and send you the url to put in your post. I'd love to see how the door speaker project goes!

Old 07-28-2007, 07:18 PM

i use photobucket. i'll put pics up. didnt get to it yesterday or today...had to bowl in chicago then spent my day hiking on the indiana dunes...

should get a shot tomorrow to do it.

I have harnesses from crutchfield. why would i need a welder?

my amp takes high level inputs...