Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

head unit install, need help asap

Old 02-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Default head unit install, need help asap

installing an alpine ida-x305 and i need to know if i need to splice off of the 12 volt power cable to power both the alpine deck and the stock headunit because i have dual climate.

EDIT:
i guess i should make it clear that i don't know exactly which cables that are inside the car do exactly what. i can read what they do on them.

basically i'm wiring up the harness that came with the head unit after removing poorly installed line out converters

Last edited by zachyzissou; 02-18-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm not really sure what your doing or working with, but yes the radio and headunit will need to be connected to power. The kit to install it should have came with a harness that splices into the car harness leaving the stock radio plugged in.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:41 PM

everything went swell the first time around (not so bad if i say so myself considering its my first time.)

though now comes the mounting into the cubby hole kit and i can't figure out how to keep the head unit from just coming out of the kit.

what i can't figure out is how to put the braces or whatever on it.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:10 PM

I'm not familiar with the kit, but you will use either a DIN cage or brackets that bolt onto the side of the radio. It's probably a cage if you can't figure it out, you basically slide the cage in from the front, then bend the tabs down to keep it from coming out, then slide the radio into the cage.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 AM

ah i gotcha. well everythings gone smoothly so far. i figured out when best buy did my speakers they decided to keep the stock wiring to the speakers. should i be upset about this?

Old 02-19-2009, 12:59 AM

Yes, very much so lol. The stock speaker wiring is tiny, it's best to wire the speakers directly to the amp. But you can get away with it

Old 02-19-2009, 01:52 AM

yeah i'm pretty damn infuriated with these idiots they hire at best buy.
and as far as wiring up the head unit. are crimp caps better than electrical tape?
AND... lol i can't be 100% but i wanna say the sound isn't as clear with the new head unit. sure that annoying hiss is gone and the sub sounds 110 thousand times better. i'm just iffy on whats coming out of the speakers.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:41 PM

Use the crimp caps or butt splices. Solder is always the best route. If you already taped them together, take it out and redo it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: head unit install, need help asap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.