Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

head unit install, need help asap

Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I meant tape + liquid after you solder them.
Did you solder them?!

Old 02-19-2009, 01:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If crimp caps are anything like wire nuts get rid of them. Soldering is the best way, but butt crimp connections are fine. If the wires are just twisted together and tapped, that will last two months tops.

As for liquid electrical tape I open the top for a few hours and let it thicken up, it is too thin to be used properly when new. They make it thin so it lasts longer, but it takes more time and it's harder to work with thin. You can always thin it out with acetone if it gets too thick.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt
If crimp caps are anything like wire nuts get rid of them. Soldering is the best way, but butt crimp connections are fine.
Crimp caps are like half a butt splice. Twist them together, pop the cap on and crimp away.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Oh ok that sounds fine, never heard or seen those. Wire nuts don't work well with movement and vibration, but that will be fine.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM

well what i'm working on shatty short wires right now so the best i could do was electrical tape for the time being. i'm going to take it to a local shop that does incredible work from what i've heard (they went and picked up the headunit for me same day to buy) and i'm going to have them wire my speakers right as well as do a legit install of the head unit wires within the next month.

the retard i had install my speakers and amps cut all the power lines incredibly short.

and the alpine manual said something about not splicing into power lines and what not. am i cool doing that?

Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 PM

I know it may seem overwhelming, but I would recommend saving the money and doing it yourself. But if you feel you would rather give up the cash, then go for it.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 PM
tangois
Unregistered

Originally Posted by zachyzissou
yeah i'm pretty damn infuriated with these idiots they hire at best buy.
and as far as wiring up the head unit. are crimp caps better than electrical tape?
AND... lol i can't be 100% but i wanna say the sound isn't as clear with the new head unit. sure that annoying hiss is gone and the sub sounds 110 thousand times better. i'm just iffy on whats coming out of the speakers.

Well I work for BB. Not all those techs are IDIOTS! Did you asked them to run new wires??? Probably NOT!!!! How much did you pay for the spkr install and parts? Yeahhhh!!!! That's why they did not run the new wires!!!! Soldering is the best connection, but when used properly butt connectors will do just fine. I hate taped or caped connections.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:38 AM

he gave me most of the parts for free. he ran wires from the headunit to the amps and back to the area where the headunit is to connected the amp to those tiny little stock wires. why? i just don't know.